Variation

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

zoomin
Home club or Range: wnsc

Variation

#1 Post by zoomin »

Hi
Have a few questions. I want to put a Variation to add 1 x 762-39 & 1x 762-55r rifle. Now would i put two separate slot with the wording 308/762 rifle?
also with the ammo should i just put one slot with 308/762?
by the way both rifles would be straight pull.
cheers for any words of wisdom .
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Variation

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

If you are thinking of Mosin Nagant then the correct chambering would be "7.62x54mmR". Some forces are happy to put 7.62/.308 down whereas some would prefer to put the exact chambering down. When I bought my Mosin Nagant the RFD I purchase it from insisted that I ask my force to put 7.62x54mmR on the license, despite having a slot for 7.62/.308. This wasn't an issue for me as I sold me .308 so naturally had a free 1-for-1 variation anyway. If so, I would advise doing the same for ammo. Speak with your issuing force to see what they recommend.

Curious, what straight pull rifles are chambered in 7.62x54? Is it a straight pull SVT or is it something like a Merkel?
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#3 Post by Gh0st »

if you want two rifles then you will need two slots assuming you have good reason for each variation that shouldn't be an issue. You will only have one slot for ammo though so make sure you request enough to cover the shooting you will do with each rifle.

Each force to their own though, a quick call to your FEO should clarify it before submitting the variation.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

Be as vague as possible with your request to give yourself the most options. If they are not happy or want more info they'll ask for it.
zoomin
Home club or Range: wnsc

#5 Post by zoomin »

Cheers for the reply. Looks like it depends on where you are.
Welshshooter I am thinking svd which I believe is 7.62 x 54r
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

Gh0st wrote:if you want two rifles then you will need two slots assuming you have good reason for each variation that shouldn't be an issue. You will only have one slot for ammo though so make sure you request enough to cover the shooting you will do with each rifle.

Each force to their own though, a quick call to your FEO should clarify it before submitting the variation.
I don't follow your logic.
The two rounds aren't interchangeable - he'll need two slots for the two very different 7.62 rounds
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
RDC

#7 Post by RDC »

Dark Skies wrote:
Gh0st wrote:if you want two rifles then you will need two slots assuming you have good reason for each variation that shouldn't be an issue. You will only have one slot for ammo though so make sure you request enough to cover the shooting you will do with each rifle.

The two rounds aren't interchangeable - he'll need two slots for the two very different 7.62 rounds
Indeed.

Most RFD won't sell you a mosin if your slot is for 7.62/.308 either as that more commonly is for 7.62x51, not 7.62x54r.

In some cases, being vague is counter-productive.
Dark Skies

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

RDC wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:

Indeed.

Most RFD won't sell you a mosin if your slot is for 7.62/.308 either as that more commonly is for 7.62x51, not 7.62x54r.

In some cases, being vague is counter-productive.
I'm all for vague when it will be to my advantage.
For example - I put in for a slot for a .45 rifle - intending to get an underlever in .45 Colt.

The FEO actually put down .45 rifle and .45 ammunition.
Based on previous experience this oughtn't to be an issue - and leaves me with the option to go for a .45 lever release if I want to change my mind (I won't - I think they're ugly. :) )

BUT if I'd wanted to put down for two rifles in .45 I'd have been required to go into some detail as to why I wanted two rifles in the same calibre - to cover good reason. Then the difference in .45 Colt and .45ACP and the two very different rifles and usage would come into play. I would not envisage it being an issue.

So it will most likely be for the OP.

If he puts down for two slots for two rifles in 7.62x39 and 7.62X54R respectively and the same again for ammunition.
In this instance there's no advantage to being vague and a definite need to be specific to avoid Mr Cockup coming to visit.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Vague is not encouraged by the Home Office in the Police Guidance and its use is now meant to be actively discouraged.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Dark Skies

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Mattnall wrote:Vague is not encouraged by the Home Office in the Police Guidance and its use is now meant to be actively discouraged.
Seems that will take time to filter down. In my example regarding the .45 I actually specified .45 Colt on the variation and it came back as simply .45

Not sure why the .308 has figured at all in the OP's thinking - Russian designed rifles in 7.62x39 are generally .310 and the 7.62X54R is usually .311