More FAC question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dave
Home club or Range: King's Lynn St Michaels Rifle & Pistol Club

More FAC question

#1 Post by dave »

Hoping some of you wise folks can answers the questions I have please.

Before applying for my FAC I would have completed my club probation, finished and hopefully passed my DSC1 and, and I have the NRA safe shooting card for military ranges. Till now I have 2 deer stalks with a friend and mentor who will write a letter to the FEO stating that. And I have 22 years in the army (Paras) so I’m ok with full-bore rifles. I have an SGC and two 8 gun cabinets
When applying for my FAC I’d like to have a .22rm Maybe a CZ 455 for use down my local range. An AR15, in .22 for club use and an upper barrel with .223/5.56 for CSR military range use How do I go about applying for that on my FAC?
I’ll also be asking for .243 and .308/7.62 for the larger deer. (hunting Rifles) but would like another .308 for long range shooting on military ranges. (tikka T3x Tac A1) Can I put hunting rifles down for target shooting as well as hunting?
I’d also like a lever action rifle, club has a 38 special, and its great fun, so I want one lol.
Now my wife and are both members of the rifle club, both have SGC’s and have NRA safe shooting cards, been on the same stalks and booked onto the DSC1 course in November, Can we duplicate what calibres I want on her FAC application, only thing is she has no experience on a .308. but I do have two 8 gun cabinets.
I’m sure there will be more questions, thanks for your advice
fenix
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: More FAC question

#2 Post by fenix »

Hi. I have never been asked for any info on NRA safe shooting certs when renewing my FAC, all the plod have been interested in is what the club shoot. Down here in Kent the police have been quiet happy to share multiple guns, I had a shared cabinet with my dad and we had each others guns listed on our certs. When I recently added another gun the plod just asked the club was a regular shooter and did the club shoot that calibre.
dave

#3 Post by dave »

The NRA safe shooting cert is required to shoot on military ranges. And there only carried out at our club every 6 months. So i wanted to get it done before applying for my FAC. My thinking is the more weapon ops rifle safety evidence i have the better.

Down our club you can shoot .22 and other subsonic rounds like the 38 special for the lever action i'd like.

The larger calibers are for deer and long range shooting at military ranges. Just wondering if they'd allow my wife the .308 having no experience with that caliber, saying that she has only shot a .243 a few times
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#4 Post by daman »

As always, I guess it depends on your FEO. It shouldn't, as the law should be clear and consistently applied. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

My other half doesn't shoot so I don't have direct experience here. However two couples I know spring to mind.

The first are avid collectors and have numerous firearms duplicated on both their certificates, all being stored in a gunroom that they can both access. At the last renewal one of them was quizzed on the need to have full access to the collection (after many years of joint access!) but it was eventually re-granted.

The second couple decided the hassle they were given was not worth it and went the completely separate route - his and hers cabinets and completely different certs.

This is all with the Met, I hear things may even be stranger in Norfolk :-)
fenix
Home club or Range: Bisley

#5 Post by fenix »

Its very club dependant
an example is that I have put in for a long barrelled pistol, I do not have it on my safe shooting cert yet because the club has not got one (and many police forces do not grant them to clubs), I have never shot one, but police contacted the club asking if the club can shoot LBP and have granted based on that. I will purchase the LBP and arrange to take it to the club and have some training / assessment and then have my safe shooting cert amended. There's a good chance my previous FEO didn't have a clue what a safe shooting cert is, he was more interested in carp fishing.

Best thing is to ask your club, once probation is out the way, if they are happy for your to put in for a gun I wouldn't hang around waiting for the safe shooting cert. All clubs are different so best ask. My lot are happy to put in for anything that they shoot, then sort out safe shooting cert if changes are required. Not sure but I don't think the safe shooting certs distinguish between calibres, so .243 or .308 is the same on them, its the type of shooting that's recorded.

Separate cabinets is one option for segregation, but a security cord might be enough if its only a couple of guns that need access restricted. If you are sharing guns make sure you both record some ammo purchase or transfers on your certificates.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

why do you need experience of a caliber to apply for it on your FAC? you can own whatever calibers you can justify a use for, the experience comes after you buy the rifle.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

If your club has access to a range certified for .308 and they shoot that caliber on said range for target shooting for instance then you can apply for .308 or any other caliber the range is certified for. Because you have good reason to own one in said caliber for target shooting.
Easy peasy. Don't complicate things.
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

What Alpha 1 said. The police will write to your club with a list of what you have applied for and ask them if they have the facilities for all those calibres.
dave

#9 Post by dave »

You're right im over complicating things. Yes the club uses a few Military ranges, so all is good. Thanks for the advice gent's
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#10 Post by Dellboy »

Ive allways thought its good to show as much proof of being compatent and safe as it allows the FEO to see others who you shoot with regard you as safe (and kind of covers his decision maybe)
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.