New FAC application

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

New FAC application

#1 Post by Plecotus »

I'm just coming to the end of my probationary period at my club and my thoughts are now on my FAC application. Having had a 30 year break from rifle shooting (but regulalry shooting 12 clays/ I have a SGC) the bug has very much bitten again, and I've been enjoying a wide vairety of different shooting disciplines.

I'm currently contemplating applying for the following:

.22 LR semi-auto for things gallery rifle.
.22 LR bolt action for bench rest
5.56/.223 for target shooting
6,5x55 Swede for target shooting
7.62/.308 for target shooting.

I've also asked for a moderator for each of the centre file rifles, because our 100m indoor range is in a railway tunnel and things can get very loud in there indeed.

As to ammuntion, on the basis that I have regularly been getting through 120 rounds on gallery nights with the semi-auto, I've asked for 1,500 .22.

Fir the centre-fires, on the basis I want to re-load, I've asked for 300 of each calibre.

In the long run, I dont see me wanting three centre-fire rifles but I want to give each of the three calibres listed a proper go (i.e. with my own rifle that's adjusted and set up to fit me, rather than a poorly adjusted and fitting club gun) to see which I prefer, both for shooting on the 100m indoor range and for greater distances beyond.

Anyway, does this rather long list seem reasonable, given my circumstances or is it likely to be challaneged for an initial grant?

Any and all comments welcome.

Cheers,

Denis
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

Re: New FAC application

#2 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

I am in a similar position and was told to apply for max 6. I am putting in for 4 and see no reason why I would not get all 4. 5 does not seem over the top IMHO so long as your regularly using all.

I have gone for 1500 22, 600 223 and 300 308.

Club shoots 100-1000yd.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#3 Post by Hrun »

Sounds good.. I had that many granted on application and they were all .22
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

5-6 is about the average for first grant from what I've seen, unless when they see your safe it's too small.
Plecotus

#5 Post by Plecotus »

Thanks for that, chaps. Very reassuring. I think on the basis of the comments, I will go with what I originally suggested and see what happens. If they knock one back, I will let the .223 or 6.5 go and just ask for a variation when I'm ready to try one.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Denis
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#6 Post by WelshShooter »

I would imagine the FEO may ask why you want a 5.56, 6.5 and a 7.62 - why can't you just settle for one or two of them out of three? If you can provide a good enough reason why you would like these three calibres then you should be fine. The Health & Safety reason for the moderators will definitely go in your favour if you're shooting in a tunnel range.

For .22lr, if the FEO tries to knock your quantities back, make sure that you accept a holding of no less than 1,100. When you're down to your last 100 rounds you would want to buy a brick of 1,000 rounds which will take you back up to 1,100 rounds. In due time you may be able to increase this to 2,200 if you find that your two .22lr rifles prefer different brands of ammunition.

Don't forget to factor in the real estate taken up by ammo and rifles. Most rifle cabinets don't take into account large rifle scopes, chassis, mounting accessories etc.
Plecotus

#7 Post by Plecotus »

WelshShooter wrote:I would imagine the FEO may ask why you want a 5.56, 6.5 and a 7.62 - why can't you just settle for one or two of them out of three? If you can provide a good enough reason why you would like these three calibres then you should be fine. The Health & Safety reason for the moderators will definitely go in your favour if you're shooting in a tunnel range.

For .22lr, if the FEO tries to knock your quantities back, make sure that you accept a holding of no less than 1,100. When you're down to your last 100 rounds you would want to buy a brick of 1,000 rounds which will take you back up to 1,100 rounds. In due time you may be able to increase this to 2,200 if you find that your two .22lr rifles prefer different brands of ammunition.

Don't forget to factor in the real estate taken up by ammo and rifles. Most rifle cabinets don't take into account large rifle scopes, chassis, mounting accessories etc.
Sound advice there - thank you. I've been running through in my head how I will try to justify three calibres but I won't be too disappointed if I have to drop one at this first grant. I would probably drop the .223 because I have shot a few different rifles in that calibre and have some experience. I have done a lot of reading about the pros and cons of 6.5mm but never used one and don't know anyone with a rifle I could try. I will post back in due course with what happens.

Cheers,

Denis
Richie69
Home club or Range: Easingwold

#8 Post by Richie69 »

Lucky you .. I’d get strung up at more than two rifles .. wait make that one !
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#9 Post by jmc67 »

Ask for moderators for the 22s as well. Even if you don't need them it gives you 2 extra slots for 1-for-1 variations later.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

I think your list is reasonable although I cannot recall hearing of someone adding a 6,5x55 SE for target on their first application. I went for .303 Brit and looking back I wish I had gone for the 6,5SE instead.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal