Ammunition advice please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Ammunition advice please

#11 Post by DaveB »

If you are mainly interested in punching paper, then Eley Tenex or Match are always good choices. Over the years I have found it to be the most precise .22RF for this purpose. That said, I have not done serious paper punching for a number of years and there may be others equally good which were not around/readily available in my area then. I believe somebody above mentioned Lapua?

If you are just starting out, your shooting will be affected by a number of variables. If you can eliminate ammunition as one of these variables, then you can concentrate on fixing the ones you may be introducing through inexperience. It's always worth spending money for good, consistent ammunition.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#12 Post by hitchphil »

strange but having dismantled 20 S&K Mag & weighed the bullet, case, powder & I looked at the powder under a magnifying glass & doing the same with Lapua Centre X .................... i cant find any difference? same head stamp too ? hmn ................. & at 100yds i get ~1moa group 1" max & at 200yds i get 2.5" group with either type & cleaning etc makes naff all difference............... & its consistent too.

............ the difference............. ~£70/1000 off! S&KMag £95/k vs Lap CX £170/k NSRA shop (expensive but for comparison) cci mini mag us utterly crap in my gun 3moa at best, its a pilkomatic round. Blazer is not a lot better, Eley sport, team match etc are all very good but I use Lap Centre X at 400yds in my 22 & get 16" elevation spread so 4moa but its the best over distances. & S&KMag at 50m is the same as Lap CX because it gets the same results for ~50% the price. Might it be the same stuff?!
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#13 Post by WelshShooter »

It most likely is. SK is owned by Nammo Group who also own Lapua. I wouldn't be surprised if Lapua Centre X is made to specific tolerances, and anything that fails the tight tolerances, but are still shootable are boxed up as a different product, ie SK Mag. It's a common practice in manufacturing to do stuff like this.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#14 Post by DaveB »

I have one of the SIG Mosquito .22RF pistols, and CCI MiniMag is specifically recommended by the manufacturer. Works without a hitch. Groups are actually pretty good, I find.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#15 Post by safetyfirst »

Threadjack. Any chance of a dig review?
Rockhopper

#16 Post by Rockhopper »

I've only been shooting for a couple of years and being a cheapskate I started off with Eley Club then I progressed to Match. If I go back to Club now i can clearly see the increase in group size.
But recently I've been getting the odd flyer with Match, possibly one round out of each box.
So I bought 1000 Edge and I've been shooting that recently and the results are at least as good as the Match (and its cheaper) plus its been far more consistent (for me anyhow).
A number of our club shooter are also using Edge and reporting seeing no difference to Match. The flush guys shoot Tenex but I'd argue that without doing batch testing at Eley there is little point in wasting your money.
DaveB

#17 Post by DaveB »

I won't hijack the thread too much, but try this: http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/rim- ... to-review/

In NZ you have to attend a minimum of 12 sanctioned shoots each year to retain your pistol endorsement. My wife and I are both pistol shooters (we met at a match and got married at the annual Trail's End cowboy shoot). We settled on our club's monthly Service Pistol match as our main event. We each have a couple of 9mm pistols to choose from, but the match is 60 rounds for each of us (80 rounds if they add-in the 50 metre stages), and at the price of 9mm, that can really add up. We wanted a .22RF that handled like a genuine Service Pistol, and this fit the bill. It's a 90% scaled copy of a typical Sig P226 or similar pistol. We feed it a steady diet of the recommended CCI MiniMag ammunition, and as long as you clean it once in a while (after every second match will do) - it almost never malfunctions.
Topic22

#18 Post by Topic22 »

My first opportunity to get to the range involved shooting 50 Blazer and 50 CC! Standard. I can't draw any firm conclusions as much of the time was spent zero'ing but the CC! certainly seemed more consistent and is it just me or are Blazers really quite loud for a .22?

I won't bore you all with further reports but thanks for all the suggestions: it may be a little too anal but I've put them all on a spreadsheet and will test one by one to see what works for me (and the rifle).

Cheers.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#19 Post by safetyfirst »

Lol. You’ve got the wrong idea about us.

Please share the spreadsheet :)
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#20 Post by WelshShooter »

Blazer are definitely loud. Out of all the 22s I've shot, it's got to be the loudest. Great for those semi auto rifles!