The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:33 pm 

Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts
Spoke to my FEO on Wednesday, all approved with no knock backs on rifles or ammunition. cheers

Was told however that if any slots are still empty come renewal time then I'll lose them. Is that a thing?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 pm 
Site Supporter 2019

Home club or Range: 49th
Hoppum wrote:
Was told however that if any slots are still empty come renewal time then I'll lose them. Is that a thing?

In a word, yes. Unless you’ve got a good excuse... Gun not available yet, deposit on one, no good examples around... etc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:21 pm 
Support/Site Supporter Since 2017

Not the case with Derbyshire. I’ve had a .308 slot through a renewal and 5/6 variations.

Random stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:48 am 

New certificate dropped through my letterbox last week, so took approx 3 months start to finish.

One final query, the cover letter that came with new certificate states:
'You are reminded the disposal of a firearm does not authorise a replacement to be obtained unless your certificate has been varied for that purpose.'

Now does that mean, for example, that if I were to buy a 7.92 Mauser and then 6 months later find a better one I'd rather own, I can't just trade in my current one at the RFD and buy their one? Or do I have to sell my current one to the RFD/someone else, notify the police and then put in a variation saying I want another one? Or is it stating the obvious of just because you've sold your 7.92 you can't go out and buy a .308?

thankssign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Home club or Range: St Giles Yarners Durham. The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. HBSA full voting member. Durham Constabulary Gun Club Catterick. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club
Hoppum wrote:
New certificate dropped through my letterbox last week, so took approx 3 months start to finish.

One final query, the cover letter that came with new certificate states:
'You are reminded the disposal of a firearm does not authorise a replacement to be obtained unless your certificate has been varied for that purpose.'

Or do I have to sell my current one to the RFD/someone else, notify the police and then put in a variation saying I want another one?

thankssign

This is the requirement.

Authority to possess when filled means that it is specific to that rifle. When you sell/transfer that firearm that authority to posses no longer exists and you must submit for a variation to keep that authority on your FAC. It is normally referred to as a one for one variation and does not cost as you are not actually increasing the total number of firearms that you are authorised to possess.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Reunite Gondwanaland

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:09 am 

Ah gotcha! Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:54 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2017

Home club or Range: Rossendale Fusiliers and Diggle Range
Kungfugerbil wrote:
Remember that a moderator is a slot too - I’ve one-for-one’d a moderator slot for a rifle a couple of times.

That being the case, I would expect to be asked why you are asking for more when you have effectively 5 empty slots... doesn’t make it right of course, but that’s FEO logic. For ease (and being free!) I would swap an unused moderator slot for a new rifle to be honest.

I agree with this recommendation, which is the route I took initially when I wanted a variation (i.e. swopped a .22LR moderator for a rifle). Once you have filled the slots you can add another slot if you require anything else.

Geek

If you make everything idiot proof, evolution will just make a better idiot!

AI AT (.308), Ruger Precision Rifle (6.5CM), 10/22 and American Rimfire (.22LR), Steyr Aug, Marlin underlever .38/.357, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 am 

Home club or Range: not got on yet
i have got a variation granted a couple of weeks ago and i had empty slots to fill not a problem but i did put a note in saying i would like empty slots left on to be used in future also my FEOdid say when i got my little chat that if the empty slots were not filled by the time my renewal came up they would take them off

cheers del

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:35 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: North Coates Butts UK. Grove Small Arms, Barton Road UK. Ulfborg Skyttecenter DK. BASC Trade Member
Del wrote:
i have got a variation granted a couple of weeks ago and i had empty slots to fill not a problem but i did put a note in saying i would like empty slots left on to be used in future also my FEOdid say when i got my little chat that if the empty slots were not filled by the time my renewal came up they would take them off

cheers del
My FEO said exactly the same (Lincolnshire) He said he would much prefer me to have the firearms in the cabinet than unfilled slots on my FAC.

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Binbrook UK Live Weather

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:23 pm 

Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club
Thames Valley Police do not have a consistent policy, when I had two empty slots and paid for an extra slot for a black powder pistol my FAC came back with the empty slots removed, when I complained they said they were "tidying up my licence and their paperwork". I should have made an issue of it and asked for the slots to be reinstated or a refund of the fee but did not. TVP firearms dept. is so slow that just having my FAC back from them felt like a victory over bureaucracy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next