Rifle Cabinets

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Rifle Cabinets

#11 Post by Daryll »

I have the Buffalo River Bronze 10 gun....its got 7 rifles in, mostly scoped, and its chocka....
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#12 Post by ArcofZen »

I purchased a shop display BrattonSound two gun safe; I use this for ammunition.
As it wasn’t ‘new’ I think it was c£65. I then found a 6 gun cabinet on Amazon that was £120 by ‘Dirty Pro Tools’. The two combined are absolutely fine, although I wish I’d gone 8 gun! Basically you’ll never wish you’d gone smaller!
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

darrena.roberts wrote:
GeeRam wrote:I've got the RD7+ with a PD7 pistol/ammo safe fixed on top of it, which I think is the better option instead of going for the RL7+ with internal safe.
I guess nothing to stop me from doing this, turning it upside down to give me the left handed hinges?
Not so sure, as turning upside down means the foam holder divider will be near the bottom rather than the top, unless it can be removed, and repositioned once turned upside down....??
RDC

#14 Post by RDC »

I bought a brattensound RD7+ and I have 5 rifles and a chunky pump action shotgun in there at the moment. All 5 rifles have scopes and 2 have Harris bipods. I have more than enough room for another firearm in the divider, probably squeeze more in too given the need.
hoppo
Home club or Range: Aldershot and Bisley

#15 Post by hoppo »

I bought an 8-10 gun cabinet which I think should be your minimum as I'm sure your wish list will grow as you progress in your disciplines.
I only have 3 scoped rifles, 1 iron sights, and 3 pistols and space is already tight.
I also got what was classed as a supersize ammo safe with 2 internal shelves. 2 or 3 bricks of 22, then add possibly 1000 plus rounds of each calibre and anything smaller would quickly be used up especially if you'll also store shotgun shells in there. Go large as if you get the bug and get into competing, your ammo needs and therefore needed space, will increase, especially if/when you get into reloading and need even more space for primers etc.
Alan
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#16 Post by Lever357 »

I bought a GDK 8 gun cabinet with internal ammo safe (not much use really as door is like a letter box!) and have it lying on its back in my loft. Good size, police liked it, quite cheap and seems well made. Just looked on their website and cant actually see it although I may have bought mine shop soiled - had tiny chip in paint
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#17 Post by TomH »

Don't think Bratton Sound cabinets mind which way they are up. If you have a left and right opening one side by side the key heights don't match which suggests they have the same door mounted up or down.

Darren, don't think you have to limit yourself to 3 guns on first application. Cambridgeshire Constabluary will allow more. You just need to justify your choices with disciplines you wish to shoot. Remember that initial grant is for 5 years and you don't have to fill them all at once. Indeed you can get variations if your shooting or tastes move in different directions. Plus don't forget slots for moderators.
Robbo

#18 Post by Robbo »

Guys,

Am correct in thinking that if I get my Shotgun Certificate running concurrently with the FAC, that the "slots" on the "ticket" are only for the FAC classed weapons? For example if I had two ordinary shotguns (say over & under & side by side) that even though they would take up 2 slots in the cabinet, they wouldn't take up 2 slots on the FAC?

also can moderators be stored separately in the ammo safe or do they have to go in the main cabinet?

cheers again for all the help and support so far....
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Kungfugerbil »

^ yep and yep. In that order.

There are no ‘slots’ on a shotgun ticket - obviously if it’s a S1 shotgun then it needs an FAC slot.

Mods can go in an ammo safe. My bolts and magazines go in mine too. My shotgun cartridges are in a separate lockable storage box as there’s bloomin loads and they would take up a whole cabinet on their own.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#20 Post by Duey »

There is no legal requirement to 'lock up' shotgun cartridges, just need to be stored sensible if you cannot get them locked away. I've never been asked about whereabouts of SG carts, only my rifle ammo

You will still have two certificates, one FAC, one SGC, they will just renew at the same date to keep admin to a minimum