Rifle Cabinets

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Robbo

Rifle Cabinets

#1 Post by Robbo »

Hi All,

Just starting out, so I'm looking at gun cabinets. I've heeded the advice given to me and that is to go as large as possible because I will soon run out of space, and better to buy a large safe first.

I've also heard that gun safes are like tents, sleeps 4 really means sleeps 2 and a half!

I've got a budget of about £250 - £350, realistically won't go more than about 6 slots. First off being in Cambs I'm looking at 3 slots on the FAC - .22 semi auto, .308 bolt action and 12 gauge pump or auto for practical shotgun. Really looking for quality rather than quantity.....

Later might get over and under for clays and that potentially leaves me 2/3 more slots to fill later when I get the urge. Would l like the ammo safe in the main safe but also looking at the small ammo safe to go on top.

Brattonsound RL7+ seems to fit the bill, and seem to have a good rep. Because of where its going I'd ideally like left hand hinges otherwise access it going to be a pain. The site is about right for the main safe 1500mm by no more than 350mm and can go to about 450mm wide.

BUT the SL7 is the same size and about £60 cheaper, which is the cost of getting left hand hinges. Does anyone know the difference between the two? Or any better recommendations for the make of safe.

Many thanks in advance!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Rifle Cabinets

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

Gun cabinet quoted capacities are for over & under shotguns, a couple of scoped bolt action rifles will take 3-4 slots.

Go for the RL7 if your going to use anything with a scope fitted, I have an SL7 (no safe) and it's really only suitable for shotguns as it isn't deep enough.

Brattonsound catalogue with details here, http://www.brattonsound.co.uk/brattonso ... logue.html

I'd highly recommend the Buffalo River 10 gun Silver series if you can get it in, even with the internal ammo safe there's more than enough room my rifles to fit in, it's 150cm x W: 52cm x D: 36cm so a bit larger than the Brattonsound. A separate ammo safe wouldn't hurt, I have these, http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6256683
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Robbo

#3 Post by Robbo »

Bar the pump / auto shotgun, I think everything else will have a scope.

Thanks - I'll take a look at the Buffalo River safes - does anyone know if they do a left hinged door instead of a right?
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

If the hinges are the issue, turn the damned thing upside down! green55
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
btshoot
Home club or Range: Wigan Target Sports

#5 Post by btshoot »

Here is my 2p worth

The advice of can't have too much room and the comment on tents are spot on.

You will be happy with Brattonsound, but shop around they vary in price from different suppliers. There are also other makes out there with simlar specs. Watch out for hefty delivery charges from some outlets!

The sl7 and rl7 are different in depth (271 and 346) of the 2 the 346 deep rl7 is the one to go for.
A cabinet "just deep enough" can be a real pain.
Before parting with your hard earned cash try and have a look at the rifles / shotgun you are interested in. It can sometimes be quite surprising the depth of a gun when a scope is fitted, especially if you have a dropped comb (stock curves down at the butt) unlikely on target rifles but common on european sporting. A number of shotguns also have dropped combs; but from distant memory when I had a bash at ps they were not common or popular. (NB. High rings and other attachment bits can make it even worse) The point of this is that you need room to manouver the gun into the cabinet to aviod dings on your nice new gun or even worse clattering scope tube or turrets.

Before you store anything get some foam and cut v shapes/slots in itand stick it across the back to support the guns, again to stop kit falling about; I suppose most cabinets nowadays allready have it, but if not it is an easy mod.

When limited for space it is tempting to alternate muzzles up/down. When storing rifles I allways place them muzzle up. I think it is important to keep the barrel crown safe from any stray items that have found their way into the base. .Some say this lets oil run back into the action and stock etc but in my view this just means that you have got the lube thing all wrong in terms of type, quantity and technique.

Good luck with your new kit. above all enjoy!

Stay safe, tight groups
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

I've got the RD7+ with a PD7 pistol/ammo safe fixed on top of it, which I think is the better option instead of going for the RL7+ with internal safe.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

my mate bought 2 of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172645443710 ... 1436.l2649

not as good quality as Brattonsound but Essex were happy with them and he has 8 rifles in one (with scopes)
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Robbo

#8 Post by Robbo »

GeeRam wrote:I've got the RD7+ with a PD7 pistol/ammo safe fixed on top of it, which I think is the better option instead of going for the RL7+ with internal safe.
I guess nothing to stop me from doing this, turning it upside down to give me the left handed hinges?
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#9 Post by phaedra1106 »

Dellboy wrote:my mate bought 2 of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172645443710 ... 1436.l2649
£20 cheaper here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152867020145

The Buffalo River is 10cm wider but more expensive, I'd call either of them a 6 capacity for rifles with 56 - 60mm objective scopes and bipods fitted.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

I have two Brattonsound RL9's which just about hold 8 scoped rifles, 5 of which have approx. 30" barrels.
You really need some distance between them or you'll be constantly bashing them.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....