Best Target Rifle under £2k

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

martinJ 123
Home club or Range: Bisley

Best Target Rifle under £2k

#1 Post by martinJ 123 »

Hi ... started my probationary training and looking at rifles :) .... the Tikka TAC looks fab with good reviews but it says its 'tactical' ... is this OK for Target Shooting also?

Are there any others that are of similar quality that might also be suitable?
Rockhopper

Re: Best Target Rifle under £2k

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

Describe exactly what kind of target shooting you want to do. Bipod and scope or jacket and sling (prone)? The Tikka suggests scope?
martinJ 123

#3 Post by martinJ 123 »

prone .... thats what my club use ...jacket and sling

300 - 900 yards
Jamesj
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Epsom Rifle Club

#4 Post by Jamesj »

Hi Martin,

I think you will struggle to find anything new with sights much under £3000.
Have a good look online and in Fulton’s etc for a good second hand MK4 Swing, RPA Quadlock or a Paramount. You will find a nice setup with sights in your price range

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
martinJ 123

#6 Post by martinJ 123 »

ok thats great ill keep a look out. I need to get my FAC first but was just exploring the art of the possible ... and the affordable! I presume the Tikka is not suitable

Thanks for the link Pete
Pete
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Pete »

A "proper" target rifle to shoot the TR discipline will be a single shot bolt action 7.62/308 cal job made to fit the rules of TR shooting.
(Barrel has a maximum weight, trigger pull is 3 lbs etc. plus jacket & sling)
Within your budget, you're looking at any of the Swings, possibly a Paramount or an RPA, or even a Musgrave.
I have a Swing, RPA and a Musgrave, though not presently in TR configuration. Mine are fitted with scopes and used for informal target shooting off a bipod at 600. 1000, and occasionally (the Swing) 1200yds. They're all 1/2 MOA rifles on a calm day.

Go onto www.NRA.org.uk and have a look at the downloadable .pdf NRA handbook. All the info for shooting competitive TR is in there.

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
rox

#8 Post by rox »

Pete wrote:(Barrel has a maximum weight, trigger pull is 3 lbs etc. plus jacket & sling)
There's no limit on barrel weight in TR, just an overall maximum weight of the rifle (with all attachments except sling) of 6.5 Kg (conversely the MR discipline has a limit on barrel weight but not overall weight).

The minimum trigger weight under GB NRA rules is 1.5 Kg.

Pete
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Pete »

Apologies.......I had forgotten that when I had my Swing re-barrelled, I specified 2.5 kg barrel so it could also be used for MR and TR.

Pete