Mcqeens bipod and aiming questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

btshoot
Home club or Range: Wigan Target Sports

Mcqeens bipod and aiming questions

#1 Post by btshoot »

Hi
I am new to Mcqeens comp. I was at Diggle on Sunday to see what went on ( the guys were great , thanks for the reception!)
Two questions came to mind afterwards

Would an F class bipod be of use when starting? I only saw the traditional type in use, but the rules as I read them do not prohibit F class type.

For a beginner, Is it better to compensate for wind change by shooting off rather than scope adjustment ?

Any thoughts on these (or any other issues) for a beginner will be much appreciated

Thanks
The Gun Pimp

Re: Mcqeens bipod and aiming questions

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Hi btshoot - I shot the McQueen at Diggle last Sunday.

You can use any bi-pod you like - use your F Class bi-pod if you wish. However, if you don't have a bi-pod, a simple Harris will be fine.

You get two sighters - usually enough to suss out the wind at 200 yds. It was quite breezy on Sunday but I had less than a minute wind on. My second sighter was bang on but when I got my target back the shots were about a half MOA to the right so there must have been a slight let-up when I started to shoot. But that's the McQueen - you sight-in then hope the wind doesn't change in the couple of minutes before you start shooting.

But yes - adjust your scope after sighting in. Some shooters can see their shots during the comp - I can't so I'm in the lap of the wind gods. If you can see your shoots and there aren't central then yes, aim off.

My only other advice - use the three-second exposure to accurately centre your aim - new shooters tend to fire too quickly and end up with a poor group.

Say hello next time (to Vince) and we can shoot it together if you like.
btshoot
Home club or Range: Wigan Target Sports

#3 Post by btshoot »

Hi Vince

Thanks for all the info. I will see you soon

Barry
ezmobile
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by ezmobile »

From my experience at McQueens (Bisley 300 yds), once you've got your two sighters done, if you sense a change of wind speed / direction its a case of aiming off. You will be concentrating so much on the targets next appearance that you won't have time to fiddle with your knobs (pun intended!)