Cabinets positioning

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Richie69
Home club or Range: Easingwold

Cabinets positioning

#1 Post by Richie69 »

Hello ,
Another topic has got me thinking about cabinets and where they can be positioned.

I have regular 4 bed detached property with a large detached double garage , half of which has been sectioned off & converted into an office , the house and office are alarmed .

My thoughts were to have the safe in the office but is that acceptable ? will North York’s police insist on having them in the house ... and as a result the loft as that will be insisted on by the Mrs.

Any suggestions ?
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Cabinets positioning

#2 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Lifted from the Firearms security handbook:

Under most circumstances, it is preferable that firearms should be secured within the occupied part of the structure. Separate, detached buildings, or those attached but having only external access (eg outhouses, garages etc) should not be used unless the levels of security warrant it. If used, these could also be protected by an intruder alarm linked to the household.

In some modern houses, thermal block is used for the inner skin of main walls. This does not provide as substantial an anchorage point for security devices as those that can divide integral garages from living areas, for example. (Integral garages mean those built within the dwelling and providing internal door(s) to the other living areas). Whilst not usually a suitable location, if a garage is secured to the level of recommendations set out in paragraphs 2.36 to 2.46 of this Handbook then this option should be considered. It should, however, be considered as an option only after reviewing all other locations within the inhabited part of the premises.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Kungfugerbil »

I’ve found North Yorks to be jolly helpful - a call will probably answer it better :)

The handbook if you don’t have it to hand:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ndbook.pdf
Richie69
Home club or Range: Easingwold

#4 Post by Richie69 »

Thanks for the link I have printed it off.
fingers crossed it works out .
Rich