Question when applying for FAC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

GarethM
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: St Georges RPC and Tyne Valley (both using Ponteland Range)

Re: Question when applying for FAC

#11 Post by GarethM »

CraigH wrote:Thanks Mark (I think you may have done my initial training?), I'll have a word with Jonathan next time I'm in
Since you are a member of Mayfair, you get a discount on Tyne Valley membership
Gareth
No matter how much you push the envelope,
it will always remain stationary.
Rockhopper

#12 Post by Rockhopper »

My club isn't affiliated to the NRA but we book a full bore range eight times a year which is run by our own range officers and that's a good enough reason.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#13 Post by Mattnall »

CraigH wrote:
Had a quick check on the NRA website and my club isn't listed - but could I flip this on it's head, join the NRA as a member and then technically I have access to Bisley?

Also looking at the Three Counties website, the club looks like it accepts non-members with a FAC, so could I say I wish to shoot on one their days as a non member (something which I probably would do) and that would be a good enough reason to add Fullbore rifles to FAC?

Appreciate all the replies so far!
Yes, as a member of the NRA you can book your own targets and shoot at Bisley. You'll still need to have an SSC (or get the NRA to check you out and issue you one) before you can shoot there though. Even though your club isn't listed it could be Affiliated without being listed, unless it is NSRA Affiliated. Your Club Secretary would know.

If you wanted to use the Three Counties club facilities regularly to shoot full-bore it would be nice to join them and support the club and help pay for the facilities you are using. It's OK to turn up to another club and shoot as part of an open competition or guest day but to do it regularly, especially if it is the only way you can get full-bore, would be a bit cheeky and no doubt frowned upon by Three Counties after a short while. Without being a member of a club with suitable facilities or access to shoot full-bore I doubt you'll get the grant.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

Rockhopper wrote:My club isn't affiliated to the NRA but we book a full bore range eight times a year which is run by our own range officers and that's a good enough reason.
As long as you have access to facilities to shoot full-bore you should be able to get the grant of full-bore rifles.

I only mentioned the NRA as many don't realise that if a club is NRA affiliated they can get to shoot at Bisley if the club secretary books the targets and therefore they have access to suitable full-bore ranges for the grant of full-bore rifles, even if their club has no full-bore facilities themselves.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

Can you not shoot fullbore at the Mayfair within its range limits?

You can at our 25yrd indoor range and firearm certification departments accept that as reason to possess, despite Durham's malicious, misplaced and misguided attempts to stop it which they had to back down from.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#16 Post by CraigH »

Mattnall wrote:
CraigH wrote:

If you wanted to use the Three Counties club facilities regularly to shoot full-bore it would be nice to join them and support the club and help pay for the facilities you are using. It's OK to turn up to another club and shoot as part of an open competition or guest day but to do it regularly, especially if it is the only way you can get full-bore, would be a bit cheeky and no doubt frowned upon by Three Counties after a short while. Without being a member of a club with suitable facilities or access to shoot full-bore I doubt you'll get the grant.

Don't get me wrong - it's not that I don't want to join and support a local club, at the moment my thinking (rightly or wrong) is that I can apply for my FAC in about 3 weeks time, I have money set aside for cabinet, Two rimfire rifles, and a pistol (fancy the GSG 1911), when I apply for the FAC I would like to put down what I would like to get now and what I would like to build up to over the following year, I haven't budgeted for joining another club so to save me having to get a variation in say six months time I am looking 'for a reason why' I could ask for .223 and .308 rifles on the initial request + if somehing comes along I fancy I can buy it knowing that I already have it on FAC - hope this makes sense?
CraigH

#17 Post by CraigH »

dromia wrote:Can you not shoot fullbore at the Mayfair within its range limits?

You can at our 25yrd indoor range and firearm certification departments accept that as reason to possess, despite Durham's malicious, misplaced and misguided attempts to stop it which they had to back down from.
Somebody sensible (obviously not me) would have asked this at the club - reading the clubs website you can use 'Full bore rifles loaded up to 475 ft/lb m.e. or 1700 f.p.s. velocity'
not sure what this equates to.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

So you have access to a range where you can use full bore firearms so you have reason to possess.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
CraigH

#19 Post by CraigH »

dromia wrote:So you have access to a range where you can use full bore firearms so you have reason to possess.
Great - I wasn't sure if it would be a case of 'yes you can shoot fullbore at your club - but not the calibre you are requesting'
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

CraigH wrote:
dromia wrote:So you have access to a range where you can use full bore firearms so you have reason to possess.
Great - I wasn't sure if it would be a case of 'yes you can shoot fullbore at your club - but not the calibre you are requesting'
That's exactly what's likely to happen.

If your club is only a 25m range, I doubt it's certified for centre-fire rifle calibres like .308/7.62 etc.

You can't apply for a slot for a calibre that you don't have the facility to shoot it, so if you are not going to join another club that does, then you won't be able to apply for those calibres.