The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. PLEASE SEE POST IN NEWS ABOUT GDPR.
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SSC Assessment
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:07 am 

Home club or Range: Middlewick
Hi there,

I'm going to my local club for the first time soon to be assessed for my safe shooter certification (for those that don't know, it's a course required to shoot at MOD ranges).

I've been told it will be an all-day event, 9am to 3:30pm, that it will be a written and a practical test, and that it's somewhat based on the NRA probationary handbook and Bisley Bible.

Can anyone who has done theirs shed some light on the process? What kind of written test is it, multiple choice or fully written? And how much practical assessment is there, are we talking 5 to 10 rounds or are we talking 30 to 40 (It will be done on a club .308 / .243)?

Any general advice would be appreciated. I understand range safety etc so I'm not asking for a full rundown of how to shoot safely at a range, just for any specific tips/info relating to a SSC test.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SSC Assessment
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:45 am 

Home club or Range: Staveley
Hi, don't you have to have an FAC before you can get a safe shooter certificate?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:04 pm 

Home club or Range: Middlewick
No, the process (for a club that shoots on MOD ranges only) goes:

Apply for probationary membership > get SSC > complete probationary membership > become full member > apply for FAC

This is because you wouldn't be able to complete your probationary membership without a SCC if you club doesn't have access to non-MOD ranges.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:35 pm 

My Club has based the course and test on the NRA Safe Shooting System as provided by them in the form of a Course Book and CD Rom.

The only addition we made to it was to include some additional points specificaly relating to our SB ranges as a matter of good practise.

Aside from the general safety aspects which make up the course, the one thing I would make a point of remembering is the 70 mil rule - in essence when opening and closing the bolt/breach the rifle must be pointing at the target/horizontal and not waiving around in the air. It is something that I always advise new shooters to ensure that they build compliance with the 70 mil rule into their procedures for each shot taken.
It is also one of the key elements of the RCO's Firers Brief to remind shooters of this. The practise of some, of loading the round and closing the bolt/breech whilst the but is resting on the ground - and thus the muzzle pointing skyward is a serious No No. Scarily there were a number of pictures of this years Imperial posted on the NRA Facebook site showing shooters with closed bolts butt on the gound and muzzle pointing to someones garden in Lightwater ! Old habits most surely die hard for some....

Enjoy the assesment and remember that it is basic common sense in the main.
J