Fudds, Walts and ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

underthebridge
Home club or Range: MRPC

Fudds, Walts and ?

#1 Post by underthebridge »

Chaps
If Walts shoot service rifles, and Fudds shoot deer, what are other kinds of shooters called?
asking for a friend, obvs
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Fudds, Walts and ?

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

Polite and well mannered :good:

As in, they don't use derisory terms to describe others who may shoot different disciplines to their own lol
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

We suggests it's politic to call anyone carrying a rifle "Sir"
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#4 Post by breacher »

I give it about 15 posts ................
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

signfunnypost lol
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

underthebridge wrote:Chaps
If Walts shoot service rifles, and Fudds shoot deer, what are other kinds of shooters called?
asking for a friend, obvs
Gimps shoot prone strapped up in leather :run:
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#7 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

TR= Ladies.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#8 Post by Maggot »

Only 8 posts but here we go.....

You need to be very careful what sort of things you call people. Some of the less enlightened among us like to use the word "Walt" to define anyone shooting a service rifle.

Many wont get too worried about this because they don't really know what the term "Walter Mitty" actually means. The term "Walt" has been used by servicemen and women for decades, to describe those that either have never served (but act in a way to imply they have) or worse still imply they have served in some sort of SF unit.

The problem when you start bandying this sort of rubbish about is that you tar all of us with the same brush which I (and many others) find pretty offensive. Some of the "Walts" shooting SR(a), SR(b) CSR and the various service type disciplines did serve, some in a pretty brave and distinguished manner In Oman, The Falklands, Ops Herrick and Telic, and many other beside across the various forces. Aside of this you also imply that the discipline as a whole is rancid with a bunch of swivel eyed, raving fantasist...which is untrue.

Sure I have had a dig at TR shooters, but this is usually face to face and people I know (who also shoot CSR) and I have had the odd run in with a few rather rude examples, or those that believe there is nothing outside of their chosen discipline, but they are what they are, otherwise we should stand together and support shooting, not bitch and divide. Its this sort of jack crap that leaves the lever release and .50 people where they are. As for "Fudds" never heard it and I have been about shooting for at least 5 miniutes ;)
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

The only "name calling" for different shooting disciplines/groups that I've come across are from US shooting forums. You have your fudds, mall ninjas, bubba etc. but in fairness I've very rarely come across these terms in UK forums.

I'd reccomend you tell your friend to check out the US forums if they wish to learn some more terms :)
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

Elmer Fudd is/was a cartoon character who spent most of his time missing his quarry in the woods...............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....