Fudds, Walts and ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

Re: Fudds, Walts and ?

#11 Post by Maggot »

Pete wrote:Elmer Fudd is/was a cartoon character who spent most of his time missing his quarry in the woods...............

Pete
Yea, I know that, I have a statue of Elmer and Buggs in my garage (they need painting!!), but I have never heard it used to describe a hunter as a derogatory term over here.

Walts however have been caught and clued in...about FP100 on Century at 300 IIRC. No idea how they managed to get the Chinook in without being noticed, but the little round man with the beard who was apparently a staffy in the airborne RA (so 4th field or 7RHA) could not explain how he earned the wings and DZ flash, let alone the rank. Not been seen since. Head to toe in MTP with cammed up rifles is not a good way to go. I am not talking about the odd bit of cammo or WPs when it is p*** down but a full blown attempt to reel in the unwary to their cumpery.

Generally Walts are naive fantasists which is why they are actually quite rare in comp shooting. Invariably they actually have to step up and be found wanting with the rest of us which sadly dents their legends. There is a whole industry dedicated to outing, naming and shaming these creatures.

Had the number of people who say they were on the roof or balcony at Princes gate 1980 actually been there the bloody place would have collapsed. No explosive required ;)
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

Maggot wrote:
There is a whole industry dedicated to outing, naming and shaming these creatures.
ARRSE does a pretty good job! goodjob

In the US a "Fudd" is a shooter that supports the ownership of a very particular firearm, usually hunting rifles, but would gladly throw everything else, such as semi-auto AR/AK's etc, under the bus and doesn't fully support the Second Amendment.A Fudd may own 1 gun or 150 guns but they all fall in a very limited range of interest

From the Urban Dictionary.......

Fudd;

Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#13 Post by froggy »

In my French club where the average age must be close to 115, anybody younger not shooting a maximum of 5 rounds in a minimum of 10 mns at 25 meters olympic with some 22Lr pistol that looks straight out of a Si-Fi film, is automatically labelled a "Gangster" ... wtf

Pfff ... Who needs an anti-gun lobby ... :bad:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#14 Post by Thorney »

How weird, the term 'walt' has been around for decades and describes anyone who 'bigs up' whatever sport/pastime/penis size, its not restricted to shooting on any kind. As has been said, its after Walter Mitty, a fictional character who just lied about his wnn stature.

Fudd on the other hand just describes a hunter, I've never heard it as a negative, indeed most of the guys I know who are fudds, like the term as one of endearment.

Mind you, the average age of membership here is 36 so what do I know :)
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#15 Post by breacher »

Fudd clearly has a different meaning in USA than here then !
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

BamBam wrote:
underthebridge wrote:Chaps
If Walts shoot service rifles, and Fudds shoot deer, what are other kinds of shooters called?
asking for a friend, obvs
Gimps shoot prone strapped up in leather :run:
lol
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#17 Post by snayperskaya »

breacher wrote:Fudd clearly has a different meaning in USA than here then !
On some of the US forums I've been on the term Fudd comes up quite often but I've not seen the term Walt used on them, not that I can recall anyway.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Maggot

#18 Post by Maggot »

snayperskaya wrote:
breacher wrote:Fudd clearly has a different meaning in USA than here then !
On some of the US forums I've been on the term Fudd comes up quite often but I've not seen the term Walt used on them, not that I can recall anyway.
They are a lot more aware of veterans and stolen valor over there. The term Walt has become more prominent over the last decade or so here because of the WMHC (Walter Mitty Hunters Club). A group of guys who act on onfo given by researching, confronting and outing these creatures.

They have been involved in all sorts or false representation types, uniforms act, false charities (collecting directly and collecting for parcels to be sent) stolen valor, and general Bloating (actually serving but inflating the situation) walting and cumpery.

I heard of one bloke who was desperate to get an amputation to support his claim to being an IED victim on Herrick. I think he achieved with a bass cylinder explosion eventually, but with the cat out of the bag and running for its life, why bother?

The thing is the forces are tiny compared with what the were when I was in (IIRC we had 55,000 in BAOR alone). Back then people would ask you "D'you know X? He is in the Army" :squirrel: These days the chances are you would know them (in your corps or unit) and thanks to face wipe still be in touch, or know people still serving. I have helped at least one club bottom out an iffy FAC application via regimental contacts and know or quite a few others. If you cant tell the past, can you be trusted to own a firearm and what else are you hiding? My lot were tiny and are even smaller now, but still do the job...when the bloody cabs are "S" wallhead

I dont feel anything other than equally cursed and blessed for serving HMTQ, certainly no better than anyone else and with an element of wasted oportunities, but what I dont get is why these idiots have to make out they have served with elite units that in some cases number in hundreds rather than thousands and mostly know each other?

IMO calling anyone a Walt, unless they are one, is pretty bloody offensive purely based on what it alludes to. Lying by act or ommission in order to misslead based on stolen valor/unit identity.
Maggot

#19 Post by Maggot »

froggy wrote:In my French club where the average age must be close to 115, anybody younger not shooting a maximum of 5 rounds in a minimum of 10 mns at 25 meters olympic with some 22Lr pistol that looks straight out of a Si-Fi film, is automatically labelled a "Gangster" ... wtf

Pfff ... Who needs an anti-gun lobby ... :bad:
:o

I had one knob head berrating me for shooting at a Fig14 at Bisley (we were practicing the Bisley bullet...spookilly this uses a fig14). I was "a very cruel man and what must I be thinking". I bit my lip and did not say "Kill Kill Kill" lol and said "See that little pink bit there...and this circle?...well, I am aiming at that and hoping they all end up in that circle".

The bloke was shooting at a big deer target which I get for a hunter...bit rich though aaarggh

Then there was the pleb that pottered up to me and a couple of others just after the Paris shootings and stated "I bet you lot would love to have been in Paris the other night".

I asked if said belle end had ever been shot at? Told him I had and would be face down in my own puddle with everyone else....fool!!

We have been reported for all sorts but chiefly shooting in positions other than prone...sad but true. I hardly ever wear cammo either unless its p*** down :cry:
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#20 Post by Thorney »

Maggot wrote:
IMO calling anyone a Walt, unless they are one, is pretty bloody offensive purely based on what it alludes to. Lying by act or ommission in order to misslead based on stolen valor/unit identity.
Yeah agree with that, a Walt is an insult, a Fudd is more light hearted (how can you not smile when you think about 'hunting wabbit' :)) derogatory but not necessarily insulting.