CSR rifles

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Grifff
Home club or Range: 8th Warwickshire Rifle Club

CSR rifles

#1 Post by Grifff »

Hi all, I've been looking for a .223 range gun but the more I look, the more I like the look of an ar15 variant. Hopefully with a view to have a go at CSR in the future.

My question is what I should be looking for.
20" 1:8? How many mags do you need? What sort of optics and what sort of £££ would I be looking at used?

Can you get something for £1000-£1500

Thanks Grifff
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: CSR rifles

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

You can get something for that yes, 16” is about the norm, 20 can be a waste and add weight but it depends on your use.

Bradley arms, Hera arms, Southern Gun company, Lantac are available second hand for that much, Schmeisser make a good rifle too.

Most people on here would probably say give Mark Bradley a call and they’d not be wrong.

Welcome to the Lego Rifle club ;)
Grifff

#3 Post by Grifff »

Cheers
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#4 Post by breacher »

Are you looking at service optic or practical class ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Grifff

#5 Post by Grifff »

Probably practical class
breacher

#6 Post by breacher »

Thats my class.

Have done ok ish last league season using a 17.25" barrel. With no muzzle brake.

4 mags minimum or you will be topping up etc mid match - I have 8 - makes life easier.

The leupold mark ar is a great scope at a reasonable price. Turrets marked for 55gr but works fine with 62gr - simply dial 1-6 for 100 to 600 yards.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#7 Post by Maggot »

18" is about the recommended norm with 5.56 as we are shooting out to 600. Some will use shorter carbine rifles for the Urban contact match, but some do perfectly well with AWs etc.

You will see a few with shorter barrels such as the LMTs (My BAR 10 will have a 16" tube) but 7.62x51 can cope with that, again we dont shoot past 600.

Your trigger needs to be 4.5lbs pull or greater regardless of SO/PO class. If you think it through you will sort a rifle that shoots well out to 600 with a compact a frame as you can manage within the rules.

Dont forget that in PO, you can use any chambering, but you can only use 7.62x51 NATO/.308 Win or 5.56x45 NATO/.223 Rem in SO. Mag resting is legal in both.

Brakes are up to you. They have their pros and cons but again most seem to use one, or a moddy. Bottom line is if it works for you and is legal, crack on...or not if you have a moddy lol

The complete rule book is available here

https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/C ... ook-v1.pdf
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#8 Post by Maggot »

Sorry, tried to edit that and was too late wallhead

18" is about usual with 5.56 as we are shooting out to 600. Some will use shorter carbine rifles for the Urban contact match, but some do perfectly well with AWs etc.

You will see a few with shorter barrels such as the LMTs (My BAR 10 will have a 16" tube) but 7.62x51 can cope with that, again we dont shoot past 600.

Your trigger needs to be 4.5lbs pull or greater regardless of SO/PO class. If you think it through you will sort a rifle that shoots well out to 600 with a compact a frame as you can manage within the rules.

Dont forget that in PO, you can use any chambering, but you can only use 7.62x51 NATO/.308 Win or 5.56x45 NATO/.223 Rem in SO. Mag resting is legal in both.

Brakes are up to you. They have their pros and cons but again most seem to use one, or a moddy. Bottom line is if it works for you and is legal, crack on...or not if you have a moddy lol

The complete rule book is available here, it will tell you everything you need to know about CSR.

https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/C ... ook-v1.pdf

Some slightly acidic observations if I might. There are no references in there to the term "Walt". There are no restrictions to shooting from the prone position only or from a bench, you have 5 basic positions, supported versions of them, then about a thousand variations by the time we have finished with them (funny how many times the range office have to turn out because some little tinker has seen someone shooting standing up...how crass. Oh yea, regardless how knowledgeable the club sec or almanac happens to be FIGURE TARGETS ARE LEGAL AT BISLEY and are extensivley used in CSR and practical matches. You will not be sectioned or arrested for shooting at one and you cen get them cheaply from these folks. Great to deal with.

http://www.mcqueentargets.com/

You will also notice in the manual the terms "run" used. It aint very far, you can actually tab 100 yards in 45 seconds (if the conditions are really pants you get 60) and we have 75 year olds doing it, plenty of overweight over 50s, and quite a few unfit under 50s as well, some have had heart surgery, soem have sight issues, some have spare parts fitted, its really not an issue and a bit of a buzz.

I am not sure if Brian would agree but one of the hardest matches is the shortest. You only have to run 100 yards total and shooting is supported on 2 phases...piece of p*** right? Wrong :twisted:

The most accurate comment was by Bradders. "you burn your first barrel out learning to shoot" helpsign
Grifff

#9 Post by Grifff »

Thanks for the advice I best get shopping
breacher

#10 Post by breacher »

Yes - its certainly more challenging than it sounds on paper. Years later and I am still not happy with my kneeling, sitting and standing !

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire