Hypothetical FAC Problem

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Gazza

Re: Hypothetical FAC Problem

#11 Post by Gazza »

Rockhopper wrote:The police will only give you slots for specific calibres so for example you can have .308 or 7.62 for your rifle. You cannot have .308/7.65 (you could ask for two slots though). In terms of ammunition i explained that my rifle could use either and my ammo slot is .308/7.62. Some RFD's will sell you 7.62 ammunition if you have .308 on your ticket and vice versa but many won't. Note that none of my slots (rifles or ammunition) are chamber specific.
I've got 308/7.62 on mine and 223/5.56 :good: and as a bonus .22RF instead of .22LR
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#12 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Rockhopper wrote:The police will only give you slots for specific calibres so for example you can have .308 or 7.62 for your rifle. You cannot have .308/7.65 (you could ask for two slots though). In terms of ammunition i explained that my rifle could use either and my ammo slot is .308/7.62. Some RFD's will sell you 7.62 ammunition if you have .308 on your ticket and vice versa but many won't. Note that none of my slots (rifles or ammunition) are chamber specific.
You can have .308/7.62 or .38/.357 easy, just need to ask for it. An RFD shouldn’t sell you ammunition that you don’t have on your FAC. That includes .38 if you only have .357 or 5.56 if you only have .233.

Never limit yourself by only asking for the specific caliber.
Gazza

#13 Post by Gazza »

Continued.....I ran out of time for the edit 8-)

As usual different regions give different things. I also don't have any case lengths listed.
It all depends what you put on your application/variation. If you put 7.62/54r with iron sights they will give you exactly that and you will be restricted to the rifles it appertains to. Put 7.62 only and the worlds your oyster :D
Rockhopper

#14 Post by Rockhopper »

Furiouspilgrim wrote:
You can have .308/7.62 or .38/.357 easy, just need to ask for it. An RFD shouldn’t sell you ammunition that you don’t have on your FAC. That includes .38 if you only have .357 or 5.56 if you only have .233.

I did ask for it and they rang me up and said I could have one or the other but not both :-)
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#15 Post by Daryll »

I've had slots for ".308/7.62x51mm" and ".223/5.56x45mm" and ".38/.357" rifles...

Surely most FLO's must know they are (pretty much) the same calibres..?? :o
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#16 Post by snayperskaya »

For a Mosin of any flavour just go with 7.62x54r.

I'm under West Mercia and have to specify "7.62x54r" for Mosin's etc as I've found that most dealers won't sell you one if you just have ".308/7.62 as they see that as being either a .308 or 7.62x51 NATO chambering.......at least that's my experience. I have just put down "7.62" on a variation form before now and was told it was too vague and could I be more specific, it would appear that how it is interpreted varies from force to force.

If you add "7.62x53r" it would be largely irrelevant and could complicate things in my opinion as pretty much everyone will stock 54r and not 53r and I think it is only Lapua that produce 53r factory ammunition so your factory/surplus ammunition options would be seriously limited.

Highwood Classic Arms sell some very nice Mosin's and this is at the top of the Mosin Nagant page.......

*** Note: The correct Variation for a Mosin Nagant is "7.62" or "7.62x54". A variation for a "7.62/308" is Not Valid For Mosin Nagants***
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

Rockhopper wrote:The police will only give you slots for specific calibres so for example you can have .308 or 7.62 for your rifle. You cannot have .308/7.62 (you could ask for two slots though). In terms of ammunition i explained that my rifle could use either and my ammo slot is .308/7.62. Some RFD's will sell you 7.62 ammunition if you have .308 on your ticket and vice versa but many won't. Note that none of my slots (rifles or ammunition) are chamber specific.
Its a postcode lottery, both Durham and Northumbria will issue slots, add them to your cerificate and allow ammo slots for stuff like .223REM/5.56x45mm
Attachments
Slots.jpg
Ammo.jpg
To possess.jpg
DVC
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#18 Post by Duey »

I have two slots on my ticket to purchase two rifles
1 x 6mm rifle
1 x 7mm rifle

Not sure on exact wording but it gives me the scope to buy any of the 6mm or 7mm chamberings for target rifles when I decide or come across a candidate
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#19 Post by Mattnall »

Duey

This practice is now frowned upon and the HO want the police to conform with the guidance and be a bit more specific to chamberings.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

Furiouspilgrim wrote:

Indeed, ex-club member just put .44mag on his application rather than .44mag/.44spl and so he couldn't buy any of the lighter cowboy action loads for his underlever which are all .44spl, only full load .44mag ammo.