SSC Assessment

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

BeerBelly
Home club or Range: Middlewick

SSC Assessment

#1 Post by BeerBelly »

Hi there,

I'm going to my local club for the first time soon to be assessed for my safe shooter certification (for those that don't know, it's a course required to shoot at MOD ranges).

I've been told it will be an all-day event, 9am to 3:30pm, that it will be a written and a practical test, and that it's somewhat based on the NRA probationary handbook and Bisley Bible.

Can anyone who has done theirs shed some light on the process? What kind of written test is it, multiple choice or fully written? And how much practical assessment is there, are we talking 5 to 10 rounds or are we talking 30 to 40 (It will be done on a club .308 / .243)?

Any general advice would be appreciated. I understand range safety etc so I'm not asking for a full rundown of how to shoot safely at a range, just for any specific tips/info relating to a SSC test.
Rockhopper

Re: SSC Assessment

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

Hi, don't you have to have an FAC before you can get a safe shooter certificate?
BeerBelly

#3 Post by BeerBelly »

No, the process (for a club that shoots on MOD ranges only) goes:

Apply for probationary membership > get SSC > complete probationary membership > become full member > apply for FAC

This is because you wouldn't be able to complete your probationary membership without a SCC if you club doesn't have access to non-MOD ranges.
jimbo303

#4 Post by jimbo303 »

My Club has based the course and test on the NRA Safe Shooting System as provided by them in the form of a Course Book and CD Rom.

The only addition we made to it was to include some additional points specificaly relating to our SB ranges as a matter of good practise.

Aside from the general safety aspects which make up the course, the one thing I would make a point of remembering is the 70 mil rule - in essence when opening and closing the bolt/breach the rifle must be pointing at the target/horizontal and not waiving around in the air. It is something that I always advise new shooters to ensure that they build compliance with the 70 mil rule into their procedures for each shot taken.
It is also one of the key elements of the RCO's Firers Brief to remind shooters of this. The practise of some, of loading the round and closing the bolt/breech whilst the but is resting on the ground - and thus the muzzle pointing skyward is a serious No No. Scarily there were a number of pictures of this years Imperial posted on the NRA Facebook site showing shooters with closed bolts butt on the gound and muzzle pointing to someones garden in Lightwater ! Old habits most surely die hard for some....

Enjoy the assesment and remember that it is basic common sense in the main.
J
BeerBelly

#5 Post by BeerBelly »

Update: all went well! Everyone at the club was extremely friendly and helpful. The assessment wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I'll be picking up my card when I go to the club later this month!
rox

#6 Post by rox »

jimbo303 wrote:Scarily there were a number of pictures of this years Imperial posted on the NRA Facebook site showing shooters with closed bolts butt on the gound and muzzle pointing to someones garden in Lightwater !
It is during the act of opening or closing the bolt on a live round that the barrel must be horizontal. There is nothing that states that the butt may not be on the ground with the bolt closed, whether loaded or not. During the TR phase of the Imperial shooters are carefully watched for such infractions, and i haven't seen or heard of any infractions while acting as RO or Wing officer for years.
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

BeerBelly wrote:Update: all went well! Everyone at the club was extremely friendly and helpful. The assessment wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I'll be picking up my card when I go to the club later this month!
Well done :good:
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

BeerBelly wrote:No, the process (for a club that shoots on MOD ranges only) goes:

Apply for probationary membership > get SSC > complete probationary membership > become full member > apply for FAC

This is because you wouldn't be able to complete your probationary membership without a SCC if you club doesn't have access to non-MOD ranges.
As far as I am aware probationary members do not need a safe shooters certificate as they will be supervised at all times on a MOD range or any range until they complete their probationary period. I would not sign off a probationer to safely shoot on any range until he/her had completed a satisfactory course of probationary training.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

And of course you will all be aware the rules for the issue etc of safe shooters certificates changes in October. Oh my it is October.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

From the NRA.
The primary reason underpinning SCCs is to ensure that shooting under the auspices of the NRA is conducted safely by / supervised by duly competent shooters. In practical terms our range staff at Bisley (and MoD staff on military ranges) should be able to ask every single unsupervised shooter on the point for an NRA SCC that confirms competency for the type of rifle being used (or the same from the shooter supervising a probationer, uncertified shooter or guest).