Feo visit Thursday

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

Feo visit Thursday

#1 Post by J4mes »

Having put my application in about 3 weeks ago I've got my visit on Thursday. I know my FEO quite well as I've been a SGC holder for 10 years and refereed for friends in the past.

I applied for

.22 LBP
.22LR Rifle
.223/5.56 Rifle
.308/7.62 Rifle

+ mods for all rifles.

acquire 1000 LR
200 .223
100 7.62

I did have a call from the licensing department reminding me that it was not a wish list. They also told me that unless I was going to buy all within 6 months they wouldn't be granted, and stupidly I agreed to drop the 7.62.

I've since spoken to my FEO and he's said we'll discuss it when he visits as I explained that I actually thought the call was unjustified and I wasn't happy with what I had agreed to.

I didn't think i was being unreasonable in what I've asked for, there are competitions I wish to shoot in and our club has the facilities for the calibres requested.

So I guess we'll see what he says!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Feo visit Thursday

#2 Post by dromia »

They have just made up the six months, your license lasts for five years time enough for acquiring four common firearms which is not a lot.

What do they mean by it not being a wish list, of course it is a wish list, it is a list of firearms that you wish to buy that no doubt you have already given them good reason why you wish to possess.

Personally that sort of rubbish would generate a complaint to the police commissioner/chief constable from me asking what policy the person concerned was following and why they are making up stuff above and beyond the law and even the guidelines, this sort of unilateral approach to trying to stop law abiding people acquiring firearms legally for lawful pursuits needs to slapped down.

I would definitely argue the case for the 308/7.62 to be reinstated when your firearms certification officer comes round and ask him where this "six month" rule has come from and what the department means by a "wish list" and how they see that applying to your application.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

I concur with Dromia, there is nothing on your application that isn't standard for a club shooter. I would question the issue with FEO at the visit.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

This sounds like another example of a licencing department making up the rules as they go along. ****
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#5 Post by Geek »

I had a similar situation when I applied for my first FAC (about 6 years ago), 3x.22LR (intention being - self loading, bolt action and another with open sights) + moderators + .357 underlever + .223/5.56 straight pull + moderator + .308/.7.62. I was informed to loose one of the slots (I omitted the .308/7.62), then reapplied when needed and replaced one of the .22LR slots (a .22LR moderator may fit more than one rifle). I was asked if I wanted black power and I mistakenly said "no", which was the FLO's way of giving extra slots which can be swopped on a one for one basis.

However, has said above, the FLO's do seem to be making up the rules as they go.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

Ask for your ammunition to be 7.62/.308 and also .223/5.56
Dahonis

#7 Post by Dahonis »

You would think they were buying these for you.......
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#8 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Bump those ammunition numbers up. 1000 .22 RF is daft as you tend to buy them in 1000’s. Go for 1250-1500 min.
Also bump the others up. By the time you’ve bought some factory ammo and then reloaded your own, it’s easy to have 200-300.

We recommend new applications through our club apply for a min 5 guns. Recently licensing depts have been trying to reduce the number of guns they issue with this whole 6 months thing. They’ve even then suggested the applicant put a variation in for the others. Money making scheme.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#9 Post by J4mes »

Thanks for the replies and reassurances.

I will be discussing it with the FEO when he arrives Thursday, shall write to the Chief and also speak to BASC as they dealt with my Dr's surgery practically demanding money with menace when I renewed my SGC earlier in the year. I told BASC at the time that I was applying for my FAC and they did say to get straight in touch if there is any funny business during the application process.
I could understand their comments if I'd chosen 20 obscure calibres with no real reason behind them, but I've chose calibres that have factory ammunition readily available while I find my way, rifles that are plentiful on the market, competitions I can take part in, and that a fair few at my club seem to shoot which helps me seek guidance when it comes to moving on to reloading and shooting further.

With Lincolnshires' new online application system some calibres that are matching are listed together, so when you select the drop down box it gives you .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 automatically, rather than listing them separately. I'll raise it as a point when we discuss what I've applied for. It also permits you to select "rifle" so I'm going to assume (or hope?!) that it permits you to purchase any action within that calibre - bolt, straight pull, lever release etc? Or is this unlikely to be the case?

Also, with the ammunition request it only asks how much you wish to acquire, rather than purchase and hold - I'll raise this too, as I can't believe it's going to mean "can buy 1000 at a time but hold as much as you wish."

thankssign
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#10 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Acquire is the ‘new’ purchase and hold. It’s the same limit.