Recommended Shooting Kit

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

BeerBelly
Home club or Range: Middlewick

Recommended Shooting Kit

#1 Post by BeerBelly »

With my SSC out of the way I'm now a probationary member of my club, which raises the question; what kit do I need?

Obviously as a probationary member a firearm and ammunition aren't necessary, but I'm looking for any suggestions on other kit I'd need, or any brands people have had particularly good experiences with.

I already have some of the essentials; ear and eye protection, shooting mat, water bottle, lunch for the day, notepad & pen. Helpfully the club provides a list of equipment you might find useful, which is as follows:

Rifle rests / Bean bags
Shooting benche
Peaked cap & Sunglasses for those Sunny days
Folding chair
Staple Gun / Tape to fix targets to board
Staple Remover

Being young and spry (relatively speaking) I don't think I'd find much use in a shooting bench or folding chair, as I'm comfortable shooting from prone. Are there any other bits of kit people find particularly useful?
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: Recommended Shooting Kit

#2 Post by daman »

An oily rag is indispensable. Gun grease and some brushes...

...and find an old fart who needs a lift to the range and pass on their wisdom and knowledge as you drive there.
BamBam

#3 Post by BamBam »

I'd add breech flags to your list.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by JSC »

Something which is essential once you start shooting matches is a book of excuses you can use to explain why your last shot didn't go where you wanted it to.

A more serious suggestion if you intend to be an 'all weather' shooter, is some decent wet weather clothing & footwear. If you are going to plot your shots or even just take notes, you should also look at paper/notebooks/pens which you can use in the rain. Here's a good place for that sort of thing: https://www.weatherwriter.co.uk/
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

Decent ear protection, I use Peltor Sporttac but everyone has a preference.

Staple gun, the Stanley ones are generally bullet proof and will last year's.

If you are going to shoot prone then a good range mat, the AIM mat takes some beating.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
underthebridge
Home club or Range: MRPC

#6 Post by underthebridge »

Arrow or Stanley staple gun, MSA ear defenders with gel cups are more comfortable than Peltor in my book, lots of guys wear tactical or approach shoes, I've found neoprene wellies with the zip down the side to be more useful if there's a lot of standing around in the cold to be done, on the subject of which there are several options for day packs with a built in seat, a friend of mine is championing Fjallraven's offering the Stubben which looks promising. Facilities at Bisley being what they are, some Wet- Wipes might come in handy too.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

A notepad and pen to note down drops, settings and general observations are useful as well. I have an A5 thing with plastic pockets that is very handy as it is vaguely waterproof as well and does not take up a great deal of room. These days a smartphone can be used instead.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
markS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove small arms

#8 Post by markS »

A decent mat would be the first thing on my shopping list. AIM are good as has been noted above.
Rockhopper

#9 Post by Rockhopper »

Keep your kit down to an absolute minimum would be my top tip - at some point you'll have to lug it all for miles from your car to the firing point, probably in the rain as well.. so ideally keep it down to what you can carry in one trip (including your rifle).
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#10 Post by Maggot »

BeerBelly wrote:With my SSC out of the way I'm now a probationary member of my club, which raises the question; what kit do I need?

Obviously as a probationary member a firearm and ammunition aren't necessary, but I'm looking for any suggestions on other kit I'd need, or any brands people have had particularly good experiences with.

I already have some of the essentials; ear and eye protection, shooting mat, water bottle, lunch for the day, notepad & pen. Helpfully the club provides a list of equipment you might find useful, which is as follows:

Rifle rests / Bean bags
Shooting benche
Peaked cap & Sunglasses for those Sunny days
Folding chair
Staple Gun / Tape to fix targets to board
Staple Remover

Being young and spry (relatively speaking) I don't think I'd find much use in a shooting bench or folding chair, as I'm comfortable shooting from prone. Are there any other bits of kit people find particularly useful?
You going shooting or on holiday? lol One thing I learned this weekend is that with optics/glasses, nowt beats a bit of chamois in the waterproofs. A small rifle relavent tool kit comes in handy (just the bits you need) and an old towel. If it does rain a quick pat dwon and the rifle left to air dry in the car will see you right. IF your rifle is blued an oily rag in a ziploc bag ONO is a must. If you are faffing with targets some black/white stickers (grab some patches from Bisley if you are down there) make great aiming marks for zeroing.

Never use a shooting mat myself unless I am testing on short siberia (It stops you, your rifle, and your brass sinking into that sodding bark chip crap aaarggh ) but they come in handy on hard firing points...if you are a pooftah :D

Decent waterproofs :good: Decent boots. Possibly a waterproof cover that you can either stretch over the gunbag ro throw over your kit (Aim to a good chap waterproof gun bag shower hat thingy)

Re notebook, consider rite in the rain and pen

Over time you will suss out what works and develop a system. Some never do and take up F class using a wheelbarrow or a forklift to get all of their crap onto the point :run: