Those crazy crosshairs

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Those crazy crosshairs

#21 Post by JSC »

Madhatter wrote:No! Don't Laugh!! (Frankie Howard for those who are old enough) I was thinking of making a wooden rifle (dad's army ish!) and putting a laser pen on top just to practice holding the dot on a homemade target, off a front rest when at home ( I did say don't laugh). I thought this might help with the breathing and muscular tension. My wife has said no to me wearing a ghillie suit lol
That will help you a little, but TBH it's nowhere near as useful as doing the same with a real rifle dry firing it (I realise you need to get your FAC first, but even if you bought a knackered old air rifle and practised dry with that it would help you). In any case, if you want to get into FTR, the hold on the rifle is the least of your worries. I tend to free recoil long range rifles if the match allows the use of a front rest and rear bag. That means no part of my body is touching the rifle when I release the shot, apart from my trigger finger pressing the trigger. You will find various opinions on the use of free recoil, but it's a technique which always served me well in FTR.

It's not so much holding the gun steady on the target which makes a good shot. A lot of people even with no shooting experience will be able to do that, particularly using a rest. It's much more about holding it steady on the target during and after the trigger pull phase (as said above). That's the critical time when a slight movement can pull the shot off the target.

If you think it's going to take a while to get your FAC, buy an air rifle or pistol now and practise with that as it's the least forgiving in terms of trigger control (because the pellet spends much more time travelling down the barrel so will be more affected by any movement after the trigger breaks). I would recommend an air pistol over an air rifle, as a pistol is much less forgiving if your trigger control isn't very good. Learn to shoot an air pistol well (single handed) and you'll be able to shoot anything well in the future.

There are other tips I can give you if you're going to start shooting FTR with a bipod and rear bag in terms of making sure it's all set up well and settled, but that can wait until you've got some of the basic principles sorted.
Madhatter
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

#22 Post by Madhatter »

thankssign all good stuff that I shall take to heart, I had considered the air rifle route but its all added expense and although my wife and me are shooting together it's always a balancing act regarding expenditure and the acquisition of goodies ( I meant to say essential kit) however, I will do what I have to do in order to get to where I want to be.

A big thank you to every one
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#23 Post by Maggot »

Madhatter wrote:No! Don't Laugh!! (Frankie Howard for those who are old enough) I was thinking of making a wooden rifle (dad's army ish!) and putting a laser pen on top just to practice holding the dot on a homemade target, off a front rest when at home ( I did say don't laugh). I thought this might help with the breathing and muscular tension. My wife has said no to me wearing a ghillie suit lol
Its called MCT (Marksmanship conditioning training), sometimes wrongly known as pokey drill (which was designed as a torture rather than to help muscle memory and develop dexterity/strength) but will probably not help you much with FTR. I used a lazer pointer to demonstrate to students how a POA would move if they did not have a natural point of aim, and also the shift between the georgian position and military position (One is leg cocked up raising the beer storage facility off the deck, the other is flat down bury me in a Y shaped coffin position usually used with MGs and Mag resting....I prefer a mixture of the 2 called the spatchcock chicken or road kill position wtf ).

The better shots in CSR will do this and also practice getting into position. The former usually coming from the ready alert on aim (this getting the NPA right) the latter getting from one position to another and getting the NPA right (Notably the Belfast gamble, stand to kneel or squat etc).

When you get your own rifle, then it will make sense as you will see the improvements as they occur, and you can then transfer them to the shooting.

Many may ask "What do you need trength for?", you still need a firm grip both to take control of the rifle (A lot of direction comes from the RH with an AR standing) and to guide it smoothly. Not too much, just enough. Seemingly the School of Inf feel it worth including in coaching so there you go.

Are you sure you and your wife dont want an AR? ;)
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#24 Post by breacher »

Belfast gamble ??

Is that one you made up yourself ? Cannot find a reference to it as a phrase / slang, anywhere on google !
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Maggot

#25 Post by Maggot »

breacher wrote:Belfast gamble ??

Is that one you made up yourself ? Cannot find a reference to it as a phrase / slang, anywhere on google !
No actually, If I had then why refer to it? I had heard it before in the 80s, then again on FIBUA, but as it goes I heard it more recently from a well respected CSR shooter on a skills course. It made me chuckle and it makes sense. Standing "can I cant I?" snap shot then settle to a more stable/shielded position for the follow up ;)

Thought it was well known.....obviously not :D When I see him next I will ask where he heard it first?

Either way it refers to a shot taken from the standing alert (looking over the scope at 25-30 degrees) at a snap target with a 3 second exposure, then dropping to the kneel or the squat to "Ambush" the thing when it pops up again for another 3. The point being that you have to pre empt where it will pop up, try and arrange NPA and react to and hit the target, then, adopt another position, this time with a bit more time and stability (as you are in the finished position so may only need a slight tweak) and follow up. Its hard work but satisfying. It seems impossible when you start out, but as you go on you usually find the biggest crime is shooting to quickly and not letting the rifle settle....
Maggot

#26 Post by Maggot »

From the man himself....Turns out I am deaf.

It’s ‘Gambol’, meaning to walk, run, jump. Not a gamble!! Hence the ‘Belfast walk/patrol’; get shot at, take a snap reactive standing and then a second aimed from the kneeling.

Put right after a couple of decades but it amounts to the same thing ;)
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#27 Post by breacher »

Maggot wrote:

From the man himself....Turns out I am deaf.

It’s ‘Gambol’, meaning to walk, run, jump. Not a gamble!! Hence the ‘Belfast walk/patrol’; get shot at, take a snap reactive standing and then a second aimed from the kneeling.

Put right after a couple of decades but it amounts to the same thing ;)
Ok - new one on me !

As I said, I resorted to google before asking.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Maggot

#28 Post by Maggot »

breacher wrote: Ok - new one on me !

As I said, I resorted to google before asking.
It surprised me after so long hearing it Brian, but it turns out a lot of my old colleagues that served over there understood it. Its funny what crops up though matey :D