Those crazy crosshairs

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Madhatter
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

Those crazy crosshairs

#1 Post by Madhatter »

Probationer, currently on .22 using Marlin, and Ruger rifles. Scopes I have no idea, why oh why do the crosshairs (posh reticle) move around so much, it's like I am chasing it across the target aaarggh make it stop. Also is it possible to have the reticle and the target in focus at the same time? range at 25m at the moment
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Those crazy crosshairs

#2 Post by JSC »

The only way to stop them moving is to hold the rifle steadier!

Seriously though, if you are shooting off hand (without support) it is impossible to stop them moving completely. You just need to learn how to minimise the movement and employ strategies to give you a higher chance of getting the shot in the centre of the target.

Yes, it's possible to get the reticle and target in focus at the same time, but not all scopes can focus down to 25m and whatever happens you will need to adjust the objective (eyepiece) first against a plain background to make sure that matches your eye's prescription. There are plenty of online tutorials on how to set up scopes so maybe have a look on YouTube or Google as well.

Good luck!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

Not all scopes will focus down to 25 yards, especially anything made for rimfire or full bore rifles. If you are going to be regularly shooting with a scope at the distance with a .22lr a scope designed for air rifles would suit you better.

With the right scope you should see the target and reticle in sharp focus and when you move your head around the reticle should stay in the same place. This is what you use your Parallax adjustment for, (if it's adjustable) either by a side adjuster or on the object bell.

First thing to do is get the ocular (eye piece) lens/reticle set up. Look though the scope pointing at the sky, overcast grey day is best, then adjust the eyepiece until the reticle is in sharp focus, once set you shouldn't need to change that. Now, if the target is not in focus at 25 yards and you can't adjust down to 25 yards you need a different scope.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com

#4 Post by 1066 »

:) Beat me to it JSC.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Madhatter
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

#5 Post by Madhatter »

Thank you guys for that, the equipment being used belongs to the range and I get what is given, no advice as yet has been given as I think they are just letting us find our feet however as stated earlier I am very keen and want to learn, why wait when I can make it happen eh? Thanks for the advice lots of stuff on the net however I value more the info from shooters like yourselves
:good:
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by JSC »

Don't be afraid to ask if you can adjust the range kit for you though. If I try someone else's scope I almost always have to make a big adjustment to the eyepiece to get it in focus for my eye.

Same goes for any stock adjustments you might be able to make. You've got to make the gun fit you or you will never be able to shoot it properly.

#7 Post by 1066 »

Also, if it's an adjustable magnification scope, shoot on the lowest setting - Higher mag won't help one bit, it will make it harder to focus on the target and show up every slight wobble.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

Practice your breathing and find your natural point of aim, then practice breathing again....and again.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#9 Post by safetyfirst »

Natural point of aim is very important. Also important is strength!

Make a dumbbell, use a brick, anything, practice holding it up with your non trigger hand like you’d support a rifle.

Wobble is often muscles that aren’t used to that kind of weight bearing.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#10 Post by safetyfirst »

safetyfirst wrote:Natural point of aim is very important. Also important is strength!

Make a dumbbell, use a brick, anything, practice holding it up with your non trigger hand like you’d support a rifle.

Wobble is often muscles that aren’t used to that kind of weight bearing.
Oooh oooh. I forgot. Take a break!

Rest the rifle on the table (if that is safe) and raise it up to take a shot, take 5-10 seconds to aim and fire and if you start to wobble, don’t snatch off a shot, rest the rifle again, wait 15 seconds and then try again.

You only get so long with the rifle held aloft before wobble kicks in.

Also, don’t be afraid to ask for some coaching, find the old quiet guy who keeps coming back from target changes with what looks like one shot in the bullseye ;)