Varifocals and scopes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Madhatter
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

Varifocals and scopes

#1 Post by Madhatter »

I think I may be having an issue sighting the target with my varifocal glasses on. Has anyone had any problems and if so what did you do about it. Symptoms reticle good focus, target blurred, headache during and after practice only shooting at 25m at the moment range office assures me that the scope was set for 25m?

helpsign any????
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Varifocals and scopes

#2 Post by 1066 »

If it's a fixed parallax scope and the target is blurred, try it without your specs - if it's still blurred there's nothing much you can do about it.

If it's has parallax adjustment then try adjusting it with out your specs. Once you have the target in focus you can worry about the reticle .

try and find out what scope you are using and let us know.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
BamBam

#3 Post by BamBam »

Just put the fuzzy on the fuzzy and squeeze.
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#4 Post by sclg »

Madhatter wrote:Symptoms reticle good focus, target blurred,
I shoot with varifocals and have no problem. Given a consistent position, you're normally always looking through the same bit of the lens - usually the top
I focus the eyepiece to get the reticule in focus then adjust the parallax to get the target in focus.
As 1066 said, if it has no parallax adjustment, not much you can do.

If you're getting headaches, you're obviously straining something but it does sound like experimenting with other scopes could help.

Good luck!
Madhatter

#5 Post by Madhatter »

I am off to the range tomorrow, will let you know how I go on, I will try some of the things suggested even the fuzzy on the fuzzy lol
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

I take my glasses off when shooting with a scope,

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

I leave my varifocals on when using a scope. It took a short while to get used to it, but it was a lot easier than groping around for my ammunition etc without my specs on. ;)
Madhatter

#8 Post by Madhatter »

YAY went to range today and had a good one. left my glasses on but used ones that weren't transitional (they sometimes make things look a bit off) was firing an Anschutz .22 with good scope (don't know what it was BUT I could see the reticle and the target YAY, no need for fuzzy on the fuzzy although it is a good tool to have in the tool bag lol
Also changed my shooting position, no chair, stood leaning forward on my elbows gun on rest made everything much better and I got a result equal to the changes that I had made.

Thanks all for your comments and advice goodjob
Musclebob

#9 Post by Musclebob »

I use a multifocal contact lens, which has improved my scores immensely over the varifocals I wore last season.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#10 Post by Geek »

20series wrote:I take my glasses off when shooting with a scope,

Alan
I now do this. I used to shoot wearing glasses, however, I too experienced similar problems to the OP - took the advise of "The Gun Pimp" on this forum (he seems to shoot OK :) )
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S