Varifocals and scopes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Varifocals and scopes

#11 Post by Pete »

I've been using varifocals for some years now, but on Friday, I tried a pair of single vision distance specs, and the results really surprised me.
The sight picture through the scope was so much sharper. At 600yds, the rings on the target looked very clear, (and the F-class card scored a 47/50 shakeshout .........well it was my old Musgrave 6BR that's been round the galaxy a couple of times)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#12 Post by Triffid »

I tried shooting in my varifocal glasses once . . . Never again! I couldn't get a consistent sight picture.
I normally use varifocal contact lenses with no problem.

Triffid
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

#13 Post by Ncb2734 »

I have just started wearing varifocals and have had the same issues as the OP. With scopes I don't use glasses now and with iron sights I use my distance glasses.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#14 Post by Lancs Lad »

Geek wrote:
20series wrote:I take my glasses off when shooting with a scope,

Alan
I now do this. I used to shoot wearing glasses, however, I too experienced similar problems to the OP - took the advise of "The Gun Pimp" on this forum (he seems to shoot OK :) )

I also remove my glasses when using my scope. I had tried with my glasses on but experienced similar issues to the OP so they had to come off. No problems now.

:flag13: LL