Bipod Hop

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Madhatter
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

Bipod Hop

#1 Post by Madhatter »

Halfway through my probationary period and am now using the club Remington 783, 308. This is my chosen calibre for when I can apply for my FAC so I intend to keep using this rifle to get used to the recoil.
I am experiencing a few conditions with which I would appreciate advise, comment, guidance.
I am shooting off a bench, seated, I am trying to get into the right position behind the gun with the stock touching my shoulder, I am holding the rifle, NO death grip. I am slowly pulling the rigger and following through, I am trying to use breathing techniques as proliferates the internet and other written word. I am using a bipod and a rear sand bag. Physically I am no light weight.

Problems:
Bipod hop - When I pull the trigger I am experiencing bipod hop and when I return to sight the gun has moved significantly to the left always to the left, I am trying to give way for the rifle to recoil into my shoulder backwards but the barrel is still lifting.

Closing my eyes - I think I am anticipating the shot and closing my eyes on trigger pull ? I don't know what that is about or if it can be cured?

What say you wise ones? any???? helpsign
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Bipod Hop

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Bipod hop, are you holding the rifle under the stock? The rifle will bounce on a bipod differently depending upon the surface it is on and how you hold it. Try a bag and rest your hand on the bag, the rifle on your hand. The fact it returns to the side of where it was is indicative of how you are holding the rifle and if you move during/after firing. Are you sitting behind the table or to the side of the table? Depending on where you sit the recoil will not always be directly in line with the body.

Closing eyes, try opening them ;)
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

It could also be a crap bipod...
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#4 Post by Duey »

You won’t stop what your experiencing with a relatively lightweight factory rifle with a bag and bi pod
Techniques and quality bipod can reduce it but won’t stop it
Only if you go to F Class style front rests and rear bags that allow the rifle to slide backwards will you achieve the desired result
Also some of the sideways hop may be from the torque imparted from the rifling twist that spins the bullet

Just keep on practicing madhatter
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I experimented with a Harris bipod a while ago to reduce torque hop, the image is of the first version and it certainly was an improvement, however it would slide forward on some surfaces when loaded up, so I have since added aluminium pads with stainless spikes and it is perfect for my needs when field shooting.

EDIT - This is the full article:
https://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2012/06/stop-the-hop/
Harris_modified.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

With regard to the blink, try some dry firing, get used to the process of pulling through the trigger break with your eyes open, then try and perfect it with live ammo on the club rimfire, then move to the .308

You I’ve to teach your body what to do by repetition and starting dry then with rimfire will make that process easier.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

Do you know what bipod is fitted to the rifle? Have you tried "loading" the bipod? If you don't know what this is, it's when you lean into the rifle and bipod and should reduce the amount of bipod hop you get. The effects are greater in prone position compared with sitting because it's easier for the recoil to push you in a seated position.
Madhatter

#8 Post by Madhatter »

Thanks all, the bipod is a harris style (don't know the make) I have to have the legs extended slightly due to the height of the bench and the seating position, I sit to the left side of the rifle. I didn't front load the bipod, I know what it is but forgot to do it. I have a feeling that because the barrel moves to the left on firing I must be creating the conditions to encourage this? do you think I might have a better outcome if I sit behind the rifle instead of the side? I am not doing bad with accuracy and there are no flyers.
thankssign thankssign
Madhatter

#9 Post by Madhatter »

Just reading an article, can anybody explain what a hard hold is?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

The barrel hopping left is because of the direction of the rifling twist, your job is to minimise this movement. One of the most valuable lessons in shooting I have ever learned is to keep the rifle as low as possible when shooting, the higher up you go the more difficult it can be to control.

I shot against a DK sniper team a few years ago and we swapped rifles after the first round and it was at that point that I realised the shooter was resting and controlling the butt elevation on one finger between it and the ground. I went home and hacked 2" off the legs of my PH bipod, added some spikes and threw my rear bag in a cupboard never to use it again.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal