Ranging targets

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

tfb
Home club or Range: TSC

Ranging targets

#1 Post by tfb »

I've gotten back into shooting over the last year, after a break of 30 years or so and I've got my first long range shoot (600 & 1000) coming up soon.

In my dim and distant memories I seem to recall seeing targets that are meant to be shot a 25m which have lines marked up above the aiming point for greater distances. So aim at the black dot and then wind up your sights until you hit the marker for 600 for example.

But, I can't remember what they were called and googling various terms has not given me any results that are useful

Can anyone help me with a name or a link? and are they available for different calibers?

TFB
The Gun Pimp

Re: Ranging targets

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

They tended to be popular for Target Rifle shooters at Bisley - based on 7.62 issued ammo. Looked a bit like a thermometer.

In the intervening years, ballistic programs for the computer'smartphone have come in - some are free to download from the internet. These progs will cover any load/bullet combination.
tfb

#3 Post by tfb »

Thanks, i'm fairly sure it was at Bisley that I last saw them and yes a thermometer is a good description for them

Any recommendations for ballistic programs?
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#4 Post by daman »

I'll let others recommend Ballistics programs.

The paper targets you recall are still available at Bisley, if I recall correctly for .223, .303 and .308 calibres

There is a picture of one here: https://lee-enfield.org/shooting-dates/ ... an-enfield

-daman
Whizzbang

#5 Post by Whizzbang »

I would recommend Strelok Pro (Lite version also available) but to get anything meaningful out of any ballistics app, you will need data (muzzle velocity, height of scope above bore) and then field validation.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

they come in different types for 303, 762 & 223 & are on sale in the Bisley Range Office when you buy a zero range slot.

Please dont go to 600+ with only a guess for an elevation!
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

You would be talking about zero targets available for use at Bisley zero range.

For what it's worth you would need approx 16.5 moa up from 100 yard zero for 223 and 13.5 For 308 At 600 yards

That should get you on the board anyway.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
tfb

#8 Post by tfb »

many thanks. I'll try the app and I'll visit the zero range
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#9 Post by sclg »

Whizzbang wrote:I would recommend Strelok Pro (Lite version also available) but to get anything meaningful out of any ballistics app, you will need data (muzzle velocity, height of scope above bore) and then field validation.
Another vote for Strelok - very useful.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use Bullet Flight (Military version) and prefer it to Strelok which I also have. I find BF gives me slightly better predictions, albeit at a premium.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal