Starting at longer ranges.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Starting at longer ranges.

#11 Post by DaveB »

When I bought my Savage 110 FP in the early 1990s, I did so because it offered a 1-in-9 twist barrel, which could handle some of the the heavier bullets, and give me at least a fighting chance at longer ranges. First time I took it to the range I was mightily disappointed. The 69 grain Matchking bullets were all over the place. When cleaning time came I tried the tight patch trick to check the twist. Sure enough, it turned out to be 1-in-12. Annoyed, I contacted Savage. They told me that mine was one of the first ones made, and they had not managed to get 1-in-9 barrels in time, so the first 1,000 were released with 1-in-12. They were very apologetic, and offered to fit the proper barrel. So I sent it back to them. I have been quite happy with it since then, and have even managed to get it to work to 1,000 yards with 80 Grain VLDs driven to 2900 fps. To do that of course, you need to make Mexican Match using military brass intended for machine guns with heavy crimped-in primers. Even then, it's a 'use-once, throw away' scenario with the cases.
Redrooster
Home club or Range: Lothian and borders

#12 Post by Redrooster »

A little up date I've follow people's advice on twist rate and purchased a sako 75 in a laminate stock with a heavy barrel in a 1/8 twist so hopefully I'll be OK with heavier bullets than the 55s.thanks folks.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#13 Post by DaveB »

Sounds like a pretty good choice. Good luck.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by 1066 »

Redrooster wrote:A little up date I've follow people's advice on twist rate and purchased a sako 75 in a laminate stock with a heavy barrel in a 1/8 twist so hopefully I'll be OK with heavier bullets than the 55s.thanks folks.

That sounds better. Next thing to think about is your scope and rail. You'll need quite a bit of elevation once past 600 yards so check the range of the scope and decide if you want to add a 20moa rail.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Redrooster
Home club or Range: Lothian and borders

#15 Post by Redrooster »

Scope wise for just now I've put a hawk endurance with ballistic rec on it, but I do have one of the brian fox scopes6/32/50 I think it is so may put that on at a later date. I'm hoping the ballistic scope works as it should obviously I'll get out and try it at various ranges.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by 1066 »

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the ballistic reticles - I think that will be set op for the basic Nato 55 grain bullet - not much of a problem at shorter ranges but will show at longer ranges. Download a ballistic calculator, something like "Strelok" is free and works well, then work out some figures.

I think you will need something like 60 odd moa to get you from 100 yard zero to 1000.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com