Cabinet Placement

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Cabinet Placement

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

I remember having to bolt a cabinet to an Oak framed house many years ago, I ended up using coach bolts, pre-drilled holes and an impact gun to do the screws up. Even with Vaseline they were bloody tight, so fixing into wood does work :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#12 Post by Duey »

As long as you secure the cabinet so it cannot be pulled off the wall you will be ok. I have secured cabinets in the past exactly as you intend to over a couple of different police areas and never had an issue

The external wall comment is to try and ensure that it is a solid wall that you secure your cabinet to and not a flimsy internal partition type wall
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#13 Post by CraigH »

Thanks all - spoke to FEO and they are happy for me to place the cabinet on the wall I intended.

lollol
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#14 Post by Gh0st »

Daryll wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Take a look at new build houses, the vast majority are stud and board construction internally and I am sure some of them must have firearms.

Yep, my son had this problem when he went to install his cabinet. I'd advised him to fit it on an outside wall and that he'd probably have an inch or so of plaster/plasterboard, then he would be into the internal block wall, so to make sure he had long enough anchor bolts.
When he went to fit it he found he had a 1/2 inch of plasterboard then a 4-6 inch cavity before hitting brick...!!
On further research it turns out his new estate are all timber framed houses with a brick skin.

He managed to get multiple fixings into a wall stud and floor, so its rigid enough...
I had a similar thing when i relocated mine in the house. so i ended up cutting out the plasterboard to the size of the cabinet. recessing the cabinet flush against the brick. then trimmed the surround. worked out better as i have most of the cupboard for storing the peli boxes etc.
Attachments
GCinstall.jpg
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#15 Post by Daryll »

Gh0st wrote:
Daryll wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Take a look at new build houses, the vast majority are stud and board construction internally and I am sure some of them must have firearms.

Yep, my son had this problem when he went to install his cabinet. I'd advised him to fit it on an outside wall and that he'd probably have an inch or so of plaster/plasterboard, then he would be into the internal block wall, so to make sure he had long enough anchor bolts.
When he went to fit it he found he had a 1/2 inch of plasterboard then a 4-6 inch cavity before hitting brick...!!
On further research it turns out his new estate are all timber framed houses with a brick skin.

He managed to get multiple fixings into a wall stud and floor, so its rigid enough...
I had a similar thing when i relocated mine in the house. so i ended up cutting out the plasterboard to the size of the cabinet. recessing the cabinet flush against the brick. then trimmed the surround. worked out better as i have most of the cupboard for storing the peli boxes etc.
We considered that, but decided that as it would be fixed to the outer skin of brick, we'd have to be very careful how far we drilled into it, and there would be a problem of cold and damp transfer directly into the cabinet.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#16 Post by Gh0st »

Yes, easy to blow the bricks, had to be very careful on placement of the bolts and how deep they were.

My wall is onto my side gate alley so shielded from weather, however i did leave some insulation between cabinet and wall, also my cabinet is cosy with insulation behind the carpet. Plus.... its the dogs room so heated the same as the house....
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#17 Post by GeeRam »

CraigH wrote:Hi All,

I have just bought a 7 Gun cabinet so that I can apply for FAC, I was planning on fitting this weekend - I had planned on installing in a cupboard on the landing, I thought it would be an ideal place, no Windows, tucked into a cupboard and it's a brick (as I thought) external wall. I was happy that I had everything I needed until last night a Builder friend who has Shotguns told me I couldn't put it there as it's really an Internal Wall, it's a Terraced house so it's internal to my neighbours.
If he's a builder, he should know the difference between an internal wall, and a party wall.
Party wall in a terrace house is not an internal wall.

Don't let him build anything for you lol