Starting at longer ranges.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Redrooster
Home club or Range: Lothian and borders

Starting at longer ranges.

#1 Post by Redrooster »

Hi folks the range I'm a member of sometimes shoots out to 650 yards, I never do very well at it.
So this season I'm going to try shooting at longer ranges so in my quest I've bought a remington xr100, obviously it was used but it's not been used a lot and shoots well,
I've got a hawke endurance 4x16x50 to put on top and a t8 moderator to put on the end, the calibre is 223, does any one else use a xr for longer range and have I made the right choice. Normally I shoot cheap privvi rounds but I can reload I just use a Lee loader. But going to invest in a press, dies, etc. Looking forward to this summer.
DaveT

Re: Starting at longer ranges.

#2 Post by DaveT »

223 not the best calibre for longer ranges (past 600 yrds)but if you can shoot the heavy bullets 80g or 90g given whatever twist rate you have then your other limiting factor will be if your scope has enough elevation.
Redrooster

#3 Post by Redrooster »

Should have said really I also shoot a tikka m55 in the trapper model, used that last year at 600 but made a stupid mistake winding my scope the wrong way plus its quite a light little gun and don't want to ruin it on the range. I'm not looking to shoot past the 600m mark unless maybe informal messing around with friends. That's why I was after a more dedicated target rifle.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

If it is just out to 600 the .223 is fine and I have shot them out to 1000 with varied results. Laurie Holland did at least one FTR season a .223 mouse gun so they must be worth a look. Bullet choice is dependant on barrel twist and heavier bullets are less susceptible to being knocked around by the wind so once you know the twist you can choose some bullets and get loading :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#5 Post by 1066 »

I quite enjoy shooting my .223 at longer ranges. Shooting on the standard TR targets at 600 yards an average .223 is quite capable of keeping them all well within the bull. Your only real enemy is the wind and the only way to get better at judging that is practice.
My .223 is a basic CZ 527 Varmint with 1/9 barrel and shoots cheap GGG 62gn fine, although it would never be competitive against something like my 6mmbr or 6.5-284.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Redrooster

#6 Post by Redrooster »

I believe the one I've bought is a 1x 12 barrel twist so not sure whats best for that. I'll buy various weights of factory rounds and have a go with them. I'm lucky I can shoot from a static caravan at 100 yards right behind my house, so I can shoot any time.

#7 Post by 1066 »

Redrooster wrote:I believe the one I've bought is a 1x 12 barrel twist so not sure whats best for that. I'll buy various weights of factory rounds and have a go with them. I'm lucky I can shoot from a static caravan at 100 yards right behind my house, so I can shoot any time.
I would guess that you anything much over 55 grains might give you a problem - try and find out exactly what you have before you spend £30 on a box 69gn bullets.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Redrooster

#8 Post by Redrooster »

Definitely a 1x12 with a 26 inch barrel.

#9 Post by 1066 »

I think 50-55 grain bullets will be your best bet - nothing much heavier will stabilise. - even more fun reading the wind.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

1:12" will not be much good with anything heavier than 55gn and then you'll struggle at the longer distances especially if it is a bit gusty.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.