Starting Out - Total Novice

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

WayneWise
Home club or Range: N/A would like to find one!

Starting Out - Total Novice

#1 Post by WayneWise »

Hi All

I hope you can help, my son and were purchased a groupon voucher for Bisley for Christmas and we are now hooked on rifles!! We had an hour and half of shooting live ammo (.22 I believe)

We are looking to get into it as we have well and truly been bitten, oroblem being I have no knowledge what so ever any????

Where do I start? Do I need a licence to fire at ranges, where and how do I purchase guns, can my son get involved (he is 15) Just don't know where to start.

If anyone can help I would be forver grateful, finally found something to get him off his xbox!!!

Thanks in advance
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

Re: Starting Out - Total Novice

#2 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

First thing I would suggest is find your local range.

Where are you based? A few members will probably be able to advise of your local range if you don't know where it is.

You don't need a licence if your a member at a range that has club guns but you will need a licence to purchase a gun of your own.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

Welcome to the forum Wayne - Lots of knowledgeable members here who will help you get started with any area of shooting you might be interested in. Muzzle loading pistols/rifles. Long range rifle shooting, benchrest, air pistol/rifle competitions, lever action cowboy rifles, historic military rifles etc.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
swotty
Home club or Range: FDPC & NRA

#4 Post by swotty »

Where are you? Most clubs will give you all the help and advice you need to start. Our club has training for five disciplines/types of firearms as part of our six month probationary period. So you are taught all you need to know to safely get started along with the process of obtaining an FAC.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

As above, the first port of call is to find a local club and ask to join. Then they can help with full membership and then application for a license.
Most clubs I know allow 14+ age group but others may have a different limit. Once you have your license (and depending upon your circumstances) your beer vouchers become bullet vouchers and you can buy firearms to enjoy your new sport with, and keep them at home.

If your local club is not suitable (age limit or perhaps don't shoot the type of shooting you want) then shop around. You can be a member of many clubs if the desire takes you but find one with like minded shooters and it'll be better for you. If you don't know what shooting discipline you want try to find a club that caters for many displines and then you'll get the chance to try more than one.

Good luck with the search. There is a club finder section in the New Members area of this forum, not exhaustive but a start.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.