Where do you keep your keys?....

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Where do you keep your keys?....

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi all

Quick newbie question. I have my gun safe and ammo safe on the way ready for my FAC application. Obviously I have to ensure the misses doesn't have access so what's the best thing to do with keys? Would one of those number code key safes do the trick? And does it neglect the requirement to store firearms and ammo separately if I store the keys together??

Stupid question I'm sure but one that just popped into my head.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Where do you keep your keys?....

#2 Post by Daryll »

My main set is always in my pocket... the spare set is secreted somewhere on the premises that even the missus doesn't know.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#3 Post by strangesam »

One set secreted somewhere locked (with a different set of keys) that only I have access to, or know where it is.

The other in my pocket, or (overnight) in a seperate number pad safe, located seperately from my gun safes.

Important, don't tell anyone where you store them. My FEO was satisfied with the knowledge I had a seperate code safe for the keys when they weren't in my personal posesssion.

Also don't leave the keys in the house when you go away on holiday, I could crack the number safe in about 30 seconds with some basic tools, its more to stop unauthorised access than actual security.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

strangesam wrote:One set secreted somewhere locked (with a different set of keys) that only I have access to, or know where it is.

The other in my pocket, or (overnight) in a seperate number pad safe, located seperately from my gun safes.

Important, don't tell anyone where you store them. My FEO was satisfied with the knowledge I had a seperate code safe for the keys when they weren't in my personal posesssion.

Also don't leave the keys in the house when you go away on holiday, I could crack the number safe in about 30 seconds with some basic tools, its more to stop unauthorised access than actual security.
Yes I should have stated that this is for when its not in my possession... Sounds like you are doing something along the lines of what I was planning so that's good enough for me!

Thanks for the replies chaps!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Daryll wrote:My main set is always in my pocket... the spare set is secreted somewhere on the premises that even the missus doesn't know.

Same here.....
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#6 Post by Andy632 »

I keep mine in my angle grinder toolbox!

That way when I forget where I put them, I'll find them before having to cut my way in! Smart cookie, eh?? ;)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#7 Post by Duey »

signfunnypost
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

#8 Post by Ncb2734 »

Somewhere safe that no-one else in the world knows
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

I got round this problem by persuading 'er indoors to have a go.............her FAC arrived a few weeks later, and everything is entered as "shared". wallhead

Eleven years on, and she's a better shot than I am.......... lol

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#10 Post by J4mes »

Hidden in separate parts of the house. The spare set are stored away from home.