Rifle Recommendations

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Rifle Recommendations

#11 Post by DaveB »

Instead of a Ruger 10-22 you may want to look at a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22. I have been very impressed so far, by mine in terms of accuracy and reliability, and there are so many more accessories (like match triggers) for an AR-type rifle than a 10-22. The BX22 trigger is am improvement over the stock trigger, but match-grade it ain't.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

Mario wrote:Tak into the considerations also CZ rifles. Very well engineered and in my opinion very good price quality ratio. I am considering buying the new comer CZ 457 MTR varmint to be used with the optics.
I was looking at a CZ 455 at one point but it didn't seem to be set up much for target shooting. More for pest control. Maybe I'm wrong on that though....
Pippin89

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

DaveB wrote:Instead of a Ruger 10-22 you may want to look at a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22. I have been very impressed so far, by mine in terms of accuracy and reliability, and there are so many more accessories (like match triggers) for an AR-type rifle than a 10-22. The BX22 trigger is am improvement over the stock trigger, but match-grade it ain't.
Thanks for the tip. AR style rifles weren't really something I was looking for. I don't see much benefit over a normal semi .22LR other than looking pretty damn cool. But certainly worth looking into as they seem very well priced second hand.... I'm guessing they take up a bit more space in a cabinet with the scope one side and the long pistol grip the other side? I have an extra deep cabinet so should be a concern...
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#14 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

I have a great LSR spec 10/22 in the for sale section if your interested.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Pippin89

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

MotorRacingBruce1980 wrote:I have a great LSR spec 10/22 in the for sale section if your interested.
That's a bargain Bruce. I won't have my FAC until end of August at the earliest but if you still have it I will take it off your hands. Is the muzzle break covered by a .22 moderator slot?
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#16 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Pippin89 wrote:
MotorRacingBruce1980 wrote:I have a great LSR spec 10/22 in the for sale section if your interested.
That's a bargain Bruce. I won't have my FAC until end of August at the earliest but if you still have it I will take it off your hands. Is the muzzle break covered by a .22 moderator slot?
No slot required for the Muzzle Break its more of a thread protector to be honest.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Pippin89

#17 Post by Pippin89 »

MotorRacingBruce1980 wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:
No slot required for the Muzzle Break its more of a thread protector to be honest.
Ah ok... it says licence permitting but I have re-read it and it is for the mod. Never mind! lol
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

If you want discuss a for sale item then the for sale forum is the place to do so!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#19 Post by DaveB »

Pippin89 wrote:
DaveB wrote:Instead of a Ruger 10-22 you may want to look at a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22. I have been very impressed so far, by mine in terms of accuracy and reliability, and there are so many more accessories (like match triggers) for an AR-type rifle than a 10-22. The BX22 trigger is am improvement over the stock trigger, but match-grade it ain't.
Thanks for the tip. AR style rifles weren't really something I was looking for. I don't see much benefit over a normal semi .22LR other than looking pretty damn cool. But certainly worth looking into as they seem very well priced second hand.... I'm guessing they take up a bit more space in a cabinet with the scope one side and the long pistol grip the other side? I have an extra deep cabinet so should be a concern...
I used to think that way, but the fact is that the AR rifle is exceedingly easy to handle, the pistol grip gives great control, the controls are all in places easily reached. On short, the AR has great ergonomics. I find it much more quick to manoeuvre and shoot accurately than 'conventional' designs.
Pippin89

#20 Post by Pippin89 »

DaveB wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:
I used to think that way, but the fact is that the AR rifle is exceedingly easy to handle, the pistol grip gives great control, the controls are all in places easily reached. On short, the AR has great ergonomics. I find it much more quick to manoeuvre and shoot accurately than 'conventional' designs.
I couldn't agree more. I have shot similar style rifles when I was an air cadet on RAF bases. From L98's up to L85 SA-80's. They are easy to handle and shoot. And very easy to strip and clean. They were 5.56 of course but I definitely found them to be more accurate. Of course when shooting heavy No.8 .22's in the air cadets we didn't use slings so I didn't have the best basis of comparison back then! haha.

I guess my main reservation is my club is mainly run by older chaps (who are great coaches I hasten to add) and I wonder if they would have a problem with "Black rifles". I will ask around...