Rifle Cleaning Kit recommendations

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Hixus
Home club or Range: Range

Rifle Cleaning Kit recommendations

#1 Post by Hixus »

Can anyone recommended a decent cleaning kit/cleaning products?

Cheers
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

Re: Rifle Cleaning Kit recommendations

#2 Post by Lever357 »

My friend recently bought a Tetra kit for his Remington 700 - the rod is very short, when bushed through from the chamber end the brush barely sticks out the barrel.

I've tended to accumalate mine over the years. I find Brunox cleaning spray good for both shotgun and rifle. Buy a number of bronze brushes as you can go through them quickly, pair of tweezers is handy as are cotton buds.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Hixus wrote:Can anyone recommended a decent cleaning kit/cleaning products?

Cheers
The Proshot stuff is pretty good - rods, jags, patches, bronze brushes etc. Hannam's are the Proshot importers. Butch's Bore Shine is good for powder fouling removal and Proshot do a good Copper Solvent.

If you want to know how to clean your barrel - most of the barrel manufacturers will give advice on their website.
Hixus

#4 Post by Hixus »

Thanks man I’ve just picked up my first rifle and in honour to the previous owner he looked after it so well I want to maintain that thoroughness. So prior to getting any additions like my scope etc I want to get decent cleaning kit first as last
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

I've always been impressed by the Otis kits - I have one for every calibre. Thus far I've not broken anything.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Hixus

#6 Post by Hixus »

I managed to pick up some stuff today in prep, I’ve picked up a nylon coated rod, a brass jag, a wire brush brass piece a job a breech rod guide and some decent cleaning product. I went to a local gun shop and told them I was a novice a needed some guidance and they were more than happy to help. :)
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Hixus wrote:I managed to pick up some stuff today in prep, I’ve picked up a nylon coated rod, a brass jag, a wire brush brass piece a job a breech rod guide and some decent cleaning product. I went to a local gun shop and told them I was a novice a needed some guidance and they were more than happy to help. :)
You done good - especially with the bore-guide.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

Cotton earbuds are useful for cleaning the bolt lug recesses. You can bend the tip 90 degrees and swivel them around. However, Pro shot do a chamber cleaning kit complete with a stick with a through hole and what appear to be thick candle wicks. You feed these through the through hole and it will do a great job cleaning those bolt lug recesses. You're only given a handful of these so I'm not sure where to get replacements from.

Edit: here's a picture of the kit.

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

WelshShooter wrote: ... You feed these through the through hole and it will do a great job cleaning those bolt lug recesses. You're only given a handful of these so I'm not sure where to get replacements from.

Edit: here's a picture of the kit.

Roll your own cigarette filters, perhaps? You used to be able to buy regular sized filters for those weird cigarette tube machines -around the .30 calibre size. Swan do some for hand rolling - about .22 sized.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mine were advertised as dental cotton rolls.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal