Scopes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Matt101
Home club or Range: Kingsbury

Scopes

#1 Post by Matt101 »

Morning all

Been having a trawl around the site hoping to gain some insight while waiting for the FAC process to happen. Been making a list of possibles for the rifles I would like. Have even been cheeky and put a deposit on a .22LR with scope, bipod and moderator thrown in.

Re the .308 what scopes should I be looking at? The different reticles etc are so confusing! How do I differentiate between something that should only be on an air rifle to one that will cope with full bore shooting. I want to shoot out to 600 which we can do at our club. Do I go for something with a lot of magnification?

All very confusing to me

Cheers

Matt
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

Re: Scopes

#2 Post by CraigH »

Hi Matt, I'm in the same boat as you just waiting for FAC to drop - out of a matter interest what/where did you get .22LR with scope, bipod and moderator thrown in?

Cheers

Craig
BamBam

#3 Post by BamBam »

With optics the overwhelming question is always budget.
Matt101

#4 Post by Matt101 »

CraigH wrote:Hi Matt, I'm in the same boat as you just waiting for FAC to drop - out of a matter interest what/where did you get .22LR with scope, bipod and moderator thrown in?

Cheers

Craig
Guntrader Private sale. Guy wants to upgrade. So selling it complete and set up for me. Willing to hold it until I get my licence then I will go and collect. That's if it all goes ok.
Matt101

#5 Post by Matt101 »

BamBam wrote:With optics the overwhelming question is always budget.
I'm allowing about £700 but don't tell the wife!!
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

Matt101 wrote:
BamBam wrote:With optics the overwhelming question is always budget.
I'm allowing about £700 but don't tell the wife!!
Secret safe with us and your ISP...

Optics warehouse allow you to search by price, leave yourself enough money for mounts.

Search here
BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

Avoid BDC reticles for target shooting, they're often too thick at distance to see target detail. MOA reticles with nice thin stadia lines are best IMO.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Matt101 wrote: Willing to hold it until I get my licence then I will go and collect. That's if it all goes ok.

You don't get a Licence you get a certificate, there is no such thing as a firearms licence it is a Certificate.

The police don't have firearms licensing departments the have Firearms certification and Explosives licensing departments.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Matt101

#9 Post by Matt101 »

dromia wrote:
Matt101 wrote: Willing to hold it until I get my licence then I will go and collect. That's if it all goes ok.

You don't get a Licence you get a certificate, there is no such thing as a firearms licence it is a Certificate.

The police don't have firearms licensing departments the have Firearms certification and Explosives licensing departments.
Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I should have a word with the FEO then when he comes.

https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/flu/ ... slicensing
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Obviously they haven't bothered to read their own paperwork, the document they will issue you with if your application is approved clearly says on the front in big black letters "Firearms Certificate"!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/