Scopes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

Re: Scopes

#21 Post by Triffid »

To me, magnification is a personal thing - people have been shooting at long-range with zero magnification aperture sights for a long time! Even with the modern trend towards high-mag scopes, you'll see alot of variation between what different people use.

I prefer much lower magnification then other members of my club do - lower magnification gives me a wider sight picture (to pick up any wind changes) and less movement of the reticule. So at 1000 yards I use 15-20X and if I try someone else's rifle, I invariably wind back the magnification. So I suggest you work out what suits you best.

In terms of what brand of scope to get, that is budget dependent! Don't be afraid of going second-hand if you buy a quality make - in particular the Stalking Directory forum has a lively market in used optics. Or Macleod's at Tain have a good reputation (generally). At the cheaper end of the market Fox Firearms have their own re-branded Chinese scopes which are OK. Otherwise it's a matter of personal preference as well as how much you can afford - so I rate Sightron over Vortex! Again, try as many scopes on a shooting range as you can; peering through them in a shop doesn't tell you very much I'm afraid.

If it's for range use, then having a target turret is valuable and if you want to go out past 600 yards with a .308, you'll need alot of built-in elevation adjustment (at least 75MoA I'd suggest) or a 20MoA rail on the rifle.

Triffid
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

Re: Scopes

#22 Post by micken »

^ good point from Triffid.

I've got the two new scopes now and for me they are a big step up from the Mambas that I'm used to. Clarity is excellent in both and they are now mounted on the rifles and ready to be zeroed on Friday. Looked through them at last light to darkness the other evening and the Minox just has the edge as expected.

Got them from Toby at Macleod's, excellent service from him.

Cheers,

Mick