FAC - Medical Conditions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: FAC - Medical Conditions

#21 Post by Pippin89 »

Daryll wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Either way I listed it along with my skin condition, which I wasn't even considering listing, for the sake of full disclosure.
Whats the skin condition...?? itchy trigger finger..?? :D
Haha... Sort of, Psoriasis. It is somehow linked to sleep apnoea but no one knows why or how!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#22 Post by Dark Skies »

Pippin89 wrote:UPDATE:

I got the following response from the Firearms and Explosives Licencing Unit:
Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email.

In response to your question, although this condition would not hinder your application we would ask that you disclose all medical conditions as we will be contacting your GP and if they mention anything that you haven't this would then go against your application

Kind Regards

LXXX
So in summary, if I list it then they won't give it a second thought. If I don't list it and my GP mentions it then it will negatively impact my application. It sounds to me like the question needs to be drastically reworded to say that you should list ALL medical conditions, whether relevant or not! Either way I listed it along with my skin condition, which I wasn't even considering listing, for the sake of full disclosure.
I take the view that if it isn't on their list or a viable concern then it's none of their business.
I can't imagine that a doctor would discuss conditions that were not on their flagged list and do their best to maintain patient / doctor confidentiality when a condition is none of the police's damn business.

For example, do you feel a doctor would volunteer that their patient was being treated for the clap, or suffered from incontinence? Of course not. Unless a condition was pertinent within the scope of legislation a doctor who went beyond what was legally required might find themselves up before the General Medical Council and / or being sued. We are not expected to sacrifice our dignity beyond what is actually required.

During my recent renewal it was mentioned that I hadn't declared my being treated for a slightly high blood pressure when previously I had. I explained that I hadn't mentioned it the second time around because when the first renewal was carried out there didn't appear to be any firm guidance on what ought to be included (as I recall). I revealed it then because I was then being treated for 'pre-high blood pressure. This came about because I'd been laid up following a motorcycle accident and inactivity and boredom caused me to seek solace in cake. :)

The second time around I didn't mention it because it wasn't on their list (or indeed at all pertinent). He was fine with that. In any event I had stopped taking Ramipril because it was actually making me put on weight and therefore harming my health.
In any event I had dropped six stone in six months following and adhering to a carb free diet. Long walks in the countryside with the dog and extensive hard gardening saw me at 12 stone and my blood pressure is now 120 / 70 without pills. So old news when filling out the form. And none of their goddamn business.

My FAC was renewed sans issue.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#23 Post by hitchphil »

Dark Skies wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:UPDATE:

I got the following response from the Firearms and Explosives Licencing Unit:
Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email.

In response to your question, although this condition would not hinder your application we would ask that you disclose all medical conditions as we will be contacting your GP and if they mention anything that you haven't this would then go against your application

Kind Regards

LXXX
So in summary, if I list it then they won't give it a second thought. If I don't list it and my GP mentions it then it will negatively impact my application. It sounds to me like the question needs to be drastically reworded to say that you should list ALL medical conditions, whether relevant or not! Either way I listed it along with my skin condition, which I wasn't even considering listing, for the sake of full disclosure.
I take the view that if it isn't on their list or a viable concern then it's none of their business.
I can't imagine that a doctor would discuss conditions that were not on their flagged list and do their best to maintain patient / doctor confidentiality when a condition is none of the police's damn business.

For example, do you feel a doctor would volunteer that their patient was being treated for the clap, or suffered from incontinence? Of course not. Unless a condition was pertinent within the scope of legislation a doctor who went beyond what was legally required might find themselves up before the General Medical Council and / or being sued. We are not expected to sacrifice our dignity beyond what is actually required.

During my recent renewal it was mentioned that I hadn't declared my being treated for a slightly high blood pressure when previously I had. I explained that I hadn't mentioned it the second time around because when the first renewal was carried out there didn't appear to be any firm guidance on what ought to be included (as I recall). I revealed it then because I was then being treated for 'pre-high blood pressure. This came about because I'd been laid up following a motorcycle accident and inactivity and boredom caused me to seek solace in cake. :)

The second time around I didn't mention it because it wasn't on their list (or indeed at all pertinent). He was fine with that. In any event I had stopped taking Ramipril because it was actually making me put on weight and therefore harming my health.
In any event I had dropped six stone in six months following and adhering to a carb free diet. Long walks in the countryside with the dog and extensive hard gardening saw me at 12 stone and my blood pressure is now 120 / 70 without pills. So old news when filling out the form. And none of their goddamn business.

My FAC was renewed sans issue.
Quiet agree, if its irrelevant then there is no legal requirement to declare it & i am not aware of any legal basis or sanction an FLO can reject an application for not declaring an irrelevant condition or treatment? Please dont pander to every demand made up with a whim with guidance or they think it is law & correct & do it to everybody!
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#24 Post by Mattnall »

Exactly, why have a 'must disclose' list if they want you to disclose everything?

Let them have their way and they will be making the rules not following them.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#25 Post by Pete »

The current guidance notes for Hampshire state:

"You must disclose any relevant physical or mental health conditions that you have been diagnosed with or treated for in the past as this may affect your ability to safely possess and use a firearm or shotgun."

It then goes on to list the "relevant" conditions...........

I'd say that was pretty clear and easy to understand.................

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#26 Post by Dark Skies »

Pete wrote:...

It then goes on to list the "relevant" conditions...........

I'd say that was pretty clear and easy to understand.................

Pete
Not for some FEOs, it would seem, possibly emboldened by FAC holders prepared to pander to them.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."