The clock is ticking....

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: The clock is ticking....

#41 Post by bradaz11 »

They have said cameras aren't reliable enough, and over 15 guns they want you to have a police monitored alarm.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#42 Post by Gh0st »

bradaz11 wrote:They have said cameras aren't reliable enough, and over 15 guns they want you to have a police monitored alarm.
Want being the word. But each case should be considered individually.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#43 Post by MarkW »

MarkW wrote:I'm hoping it's not like that. We are in a corner of Somerset which is about 1 1/2 hr from their office, so I' sort of hoping that as we've both applied for SGC they'd do us both at the same time. But it seems strange that they've only called 1 of us to book an appointment.
Well the wife spoke to the visits team today. They are going to speak to us both at the same time. She explained that we don't have a gun cabinet fitted and he wasn't that bothered. But I'll have 1 fitted before he arrives otherwise it'll mean another visit??
So we now have a visit booked. I have until the 31st to get a cabinet fitted. Heres hoping stock has arrived at the local shop
Pragmatist
Home club or Range: Soon to be Felixstowe rifle club

#44 Post by Pragmatist »

Hope it passes quickly for you. I'm having to go through the whole process again as I surrendered my FAC more than 6 years ago. Bah humbug.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#45 Post by Pippin89 »

MarkW wrote:
MarkW wrote:I'm hoping it's not like that. We are in a corner of Somerset which is about 1 1/2 hr from their office, so I' sort of hoping that as we've both applied for SGC they'd do us both at the same time. But it seems strange that they've only called 1 of us to book an appointment.
Well the wife spoke to the visits team today. They are going to speak to us both at the same time. She explained that we don't have a gun cabinet fitted and he wasn't that bothered. But I'll have 1 fitted before he arrives otherwise it'll mean another visit??
So we now have a visit booked. I have until the 31st to get a cabinet fitted. Heres hoping stock has arrived at the local shop
Yes they would have to visit again to check the cabinet and the installation are ok. If you can't get yours and you need one quick then there are cheap enough ones on amazon. You could get one and install it quickly and then replace it when your proper one comes.
Gh0st

#46 Post by Gh0st »

Pippin89 wrote:
MarkW wrote:
Yes they would have to visit again to check the cabinet and the installation are ok. If you can't get yours and you need one quick then there are cheap enough ones on amazon. You could get one and install it quickly and then replace it when your proper one comes.
Not true, its up to you to secure your cabinet according to the guidelines. I remember my first grant at aged 15. Didn’t have my cabinet just showed them where it would go they were ok with that.

Similar current force has not checked, but its my responsibility to make sure its fitted correctly along with the other stipulations of having multiple firearms.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#47 Post by bradaz11 »

Gh0st wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:They have said cameras aren't reliable enough, and over 15 guns they want you to have a police monitored alarm.
and should being the operative word there. FEO made it quite clear my renewal would be held up by this, and the new guidelines are specifying level of alarm now. CCTV to your phone isn't foolproof enough for them it seems, as what happens if you don't have signal, batery dies, don't have your phone to hand, or on, miss the alert etc.
you could go to the cinema, and someone break into your house as the film starts. His argument is with this the alarm company calls the police and you, so if you are for instance watching a film, the police are still notified. it was the same with suggesting a dialler for my alarm system, they now have it in the guidance and so can say it isn't suitable
Gh0st

#48 Post by Gh0st »

bradaz11 wrote:
Gh0st wrote:
and should being the operative word there. FEO made it quite clear my renewal would be held up by this, and the new guidelines are specifying level of alarm now. CCTV to your phone isn't foolproof enough for them it seems, as what happens if you don't have signal, batery dies, don't have your phone to hand, or on, miss the alert etc.
you could go to the cinema, and someone break into your house as the film starts. His argument is with this the alarm company calls the police and you, so if you are for instance watching a film, the police are still notified. it was the same with suggesting a dialler for my alarm system, they now have it in the guidance and so can say it isn't suitable
All in the “Guidance”. Although i agree. I am about to change my monitored system to a police response alarm. But they are not cheap mind.

Who has a police monitored alarm and what costs are they paying from whom?

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#49 Post by bradaz11 »

mine came from bs1 security. around 1k fitted. 4 multi detect sensors and a door switch. around £30 a month inc vat. all prices they quoted were less VAT which wasn't clear at the time.
Christel
Site Admin

#50 Post by Christel »

Ours is wired as per requirements as a business, if the alarm is activated then two signals go out (landline and gprs (text)) to the alarm company, if they can't get a sensible reply out of us (we have code words for danger/all ok) then they contact the response team. We also have an electronic something or other number that identifies us.

We have three sensors, two door switches, 4 dogs and a locked armory, it has one of those doors where bolts are sliding forth and back, I am sure there is a technical term for it.

No need for a panic button, if anything happens while we are here we have been advised to stand down.

Now you may think this is overkill for a private person however the guidelines these days are pointing towards these alarm systems for private individuals with a holding in double figures.

The maintenance is some £600 a year. Can't remember how much to put it all in, think the door was about a grand.

Oh and be aware that spiders can trip the sensors :)