Lessons

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

Lessons

#1 Post by MarkW »

As I'm new to this clay shooting game, I've shot in the military for 24 yrs so know 1 end of a gun from the other but technique is completely different as I'm finding out.
The Mrs has never shot before, apart from 2 taster sessions at the local club.
So I thought I'd invest in at least a lesson each for us to get the basics right and we can then decide to either have more lessons or just practice the foundation points from that initial lesson.
I'm based about 15 miles South of Bath. So where would you go for a lesson? I don't mind travelling up to a couple of hours for the right service
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: Lessons

#2 Post by Gh0st »

are you just talking clays?
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
MarkW
Past Supporter

#3 Post by MarkW »

Yes, Currently I have no interest in game.
Gh0st

#4 Post by Gh0st »

Ah ok, i can point you in the direction a great Target shooting / practical club not far from you. But no idea on Clays.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

I cant help as to locations, although I would have thought a quick Google would bring up a selection, I have used the Bisley Shooting grounds for a couple of lessons, and learnt a great deal from them! well worth having good tuition, although they may be a bit far from you
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019

#6 Post by 38Super »

Have a look on the CPSA website and look for nearby clay shooting clubs.
From what I've seen the majority of professional grounds will offer a tuition service.
MarkW
Past Supporter

#7 Post by MarkW »

Many thanks for all your help and advice. I will contact my local place. But thought if anyone had real world of experience of a particular shooting ground that would be better. Nothing like a recommendation.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

The only places I could recommend are Bisley and Southdown Gun Club. Both quite far from you. See if your most local one does cheap taster sessions, most do, then you can see if they have something to offer before paying for a full lesson.
Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

Probably on the limit of your 2 hours - Ross Gibson at William Powell in Banbury may well offer lessons. Their ground is at Edgehill OX17 1DH so more or less straight up the A329 from Bath.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

I've heard good things about braces of bristol, but I don't do clays, just rifle target shooting. I have however bought guns and ammo from Braces and found them to be really good from that side of things.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns