Don't know where to begin

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

saints2014

Don't know where to begin

#1 Post by saints2014 »

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting involved in the hobby but I'm starting from absolute scratch. I've never been shooting before, never even shot a gun (apart from an airgun in the scouts and I hardly think that counts!). I have friends that have shotgun licenses and occasionally go game shooting, however they got into it from childhood via their fathers and mine was never into it. I've also recently moved away from my home town so I don't really have the option of going with them.

Basically, my question is where do I begin? Do I just join a club and begin with clay pigeons or something along those lines? Do I need a license to shoot at all or just to own a gun?

I live in the North-East now, so if anyone knows any specific clubs that welcome adult beginners I would appreciate any recommendations, along with estimates around the costs involved. I apologise for my ignorance, but I really know nothing so I'm really just looking for help to take the first step.

Cheers for the help
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: Don't know where to begin

#2 Post by Les »

Hello .... welcome to FBUK! :good:

Do you mainly want to shoot shotguns, or other types of firearms?
saints2014

#3 Post by saints2014 »

Les wrote:Hello .... welcome to FBUK! :good:

Do you mainly want to shoot shotguns, or other types of firearms?
My main aim is game shooting so I was thinking it'd be shotguns. But like I said, I'm so new to this, I really don't mind! Maybe I'll find I'm more interested by something else.

#4 Post by 1066 »

Hello and welcome. I appreciate it must be quite daunting to someone looking in from the outside - like trying to jump on a moving bus I guess.

"Shooting" covers such a wide range, you might be an avid 10 metre air pistol competitor with an air pistol costing £1,500 -£2,000 to a casual rough shooter who enjoys a walk round the field with an old £100 side by side shotgun after the odd rabbit.
You will find the whole spectrum covered by the guys and gals here. Have a think about what might interest you and ask away.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

If you are coming in cold with no shooter to help mentor you then the club route is the best.

All clubs have their own character and peculiarities so best to visit a few and find one that feels good for you and will provide practical support for tyros.

There are clubs listed on here and any of the shooting organisations should be able to provide you with contacts, they are listed on here as well.

It is important to find a club that feels right for you and has structures in place to help you develop you interest.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
saints2014

#6 Post by saints2014 »

1066 wrote:Hello and welcome. I appreciate it must be quite daunting to someone looking in from the outside - like trying to jump on a moving bus I guess.

"Shooting" covers such a wide range, you might be an avid 10 metre air pistol competitor with an air pistol costing £1,500 -£2,000 to a casual rough shooter who enjoys a walk round the field with an old £100 side by side shotgun after the odd rabbit.
You will find the whole spectrum covered by the guys and gals here. Have a think about what might interest you and ask away.
Yeah it is quite daunting; I think because of the restrictions it's not a hobby that has a great deal of visibility if you're not in the fold!

I think the latter is more what I'm looking for. My hope would be to shoot game rather than target shooting, but I understand there will be a learning curve before I reach that point. I looked at some of the organised ones on guns on pegs but they are so expensive! I don't really know what kind of costs I'm looking at to get into something like that.
GarethM
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: St Georges RPC and Tyne Valley (both using Ponteland Range)

#7 Post by GarethM »

Hi,
Whereabouts in the NE are you based? If you are anywhere near Sunderland, the Mayfair Shooting Centre covers most bases.

Gareth
No matter how much you push the envelope,
it will always remain stationary.
saints2014

#8 Post by saints2014 »

GarethM wrote:Hi,
Whereabouts in the NE are you based? If you are anywhere near Sunderland, the Mayfair Shooting Centre covers most bases.

Gareth
Gateshead, so not too far, I work Sunderland way as well. I'll have a look where it is.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#9 Post by Geek »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

I was in the same position as you many moons ago and I found the club route the best way to go.

With shotgun stuff I went to Steve Smiths Shooting Ground near Dinnington/Newcastle airport to get some clay lessons first, then found a small local clay club to join (sadly it no longer exists or I would've suggested going there in the first place), then opportunities to go game shooting came up through interactions with other members.

With game shooting there are places where you can just pay and get slung in with a group for a days shooting, but I always find those sorts of days best spent with friends/shooting mates.

Getting a 'permission' where you can shoot at will is normally the ultimate ambition for most but its the hardest (usually) to attain) and normally only comes from many years persistence/building up confidence in others that you can be trusted to do it.

Until the lockdown restrictions ease you'll likely struggle to find anywhere that can give you much in the way of tuition so nows the time to do your homework and find as many clubs as possible to try once you get the chance.

Locally the clay clubs I'm aware of and have been to;

- Steve Smiths Shooting Ground - A fairly formal ground that is open most days and offers tuition, most kinds of clay shooting catered for (Dinnington/Newc airport)
- Mandel and Unsworth Clay Pigeon Ground (sometimes called Springwell Clay Club) - A less formal shoot mainly English Sporting but some others such as DTL, no tuition as far as i'm aware, just pay and play, only open on Sundays (AFAIK) (Springwell, Washington)
- Bywell Shooting Ground - Formal shooting ground, all disciplines catered for, open all the time, fairly confident that tuition would be available (near Morpeth) - Worth doubling up with a trip to Weldon Gun Room if you're up that way.

There are dozens of clay clubs in the North East but many don't advertise and are word-of-mouth affairs. To some that might sound like a 'closed shop' mentality but when you're running a small 'straw baler' you can't let the club get too big if you have restricted hours/days otherwise it will get to the point that people can't actually get to shoot.
DVC