Starting a New Club

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Sfwh

Starting a New Club

#1 Post by Sfwh »

So, unfortunately, my main club has been put on hiatus due to Coronavirus so a few friends and I have decided to start our own for the displaced members. We are in the process of affiliating to the NRA, getting insurance and getting home office approval. Does anyone who has gone through the process have any tips for when you're starting up?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Starting a New Club

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

What area are you in. Where do you plan on shooting do you have access to a range or do you plan on booking ranges MOD for instance? The first thing you need to do is inform your licensing authority.
They will interview you and submit their findings to the Home Office for approval. You need a Club Secretary to steer this through he needs to do his homework. Check the Home Office web site.
You need a written Constitution you need an elected committee. As a minimum, you need a Secretary, A treasurer, and a Police Liason Officer. You need a Club bank account.
Somebody needs to write a constitution.
If you want advice pm me I would rather do it off the forum. I can supply you with a draft Constitution etc but your elected Club Secretary will need to adapt it to suit your needs.
If you intend to book and use MOD ranges that is another process you will need to register for. You will need A Club Secretary who can draft Risk Assessments that the MOD will accept. I can supply draft copies. A word of advice whoever you elect as Secretary if you plan on Bidding for and using MOD ranges he needs to be computer savvy and have a good home PC set up. Not a tablet not a phone a up to date laptop Mac or PC.
The first thing you need to do is get everybody together who are willing to commit to setting up the Club hold a General meeting some were. Elect your officials there needs to be a record of the minutes.
The second thing to do is hold another meeting and whoever you have elected as your Secretary needs to present a Constitution to members and vote it in. You need to open a Bank account and agree on subs with the Treasurer etc.
It's a long drawn-out process but once everything in place you just need a Club Secretary that can keep on top of it.

(A WORD OF ADVICE FOR ANYONE CONSIDERING TAKING ON THE ROLE OF CLUB SECRETARY: The Club Secretary role is a thankless task be very careful before you volunteer for the role there is a lot of work involved it can take over your life.)
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

To be honest the club Secretary is the kingpin the right Guy/Girl will make it happen. Make sure you select the right Guy/Gal and all will be well.
Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Cornish-Viking »

Good Luck with this. I hope It works out.
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#5 Post by Bovril »

Damn, was hoping you'd be local but you seem to be around London.
Good luck with the venture though.
Madhatter
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

#6 Post by Madhatter »

That was excellent advice Alpha 1 goodjob
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Happy to help. I hope it works out. I will continue to respond to the questions you pm me. I won't be responding in the forum.