Where in the application process is the FEO visit.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

Where in the application process is the FEO visit.

#1 Post by andy1979 »

Where in the application process is the FEO visit?
I was under the assumption that it was one of last parts of the process.

I ask because I had my FEO visit yesterday and to say the guy was a prick would be an understatement.

Tried to tell me that I had to have a monitored alarm installed
Tried to tell me that the 10ft walk from my front door to the boot of my car was high risk and was there any other way I could put firearms in to my car.

Then told me that he didn’t believe I should be granted more than 2 rifles on a grant
Told me that despite my home range being certified for all but the .223 I’d applied for I couldn’t justify having them rifles as my home range is only 25 metres even though I told him I would be shooting at other ranges.

Told me he wanted more information for my two declarable medical issues even though they are 15 and 10 years old and I’ve provided a medical report from GP who states no concerns or active medications.

I had a domestic with the wife 2 years ago which I ended up in the cells for, I made sure the wife was home so the FEO could speak to her, he didn’t bother but said he wanted for information about it after saying he could see it was a stable situation.

So I spoke to BASC firearms who said most of what he’s coming out with is bo...cks, if they want more medical info then they can pay for it.

So after speaking with BASC they gave me the licensing managers email address so I sent and email with my concerns.

I got a one liner saying as my FEO visit was only yesterday I’m at the beginning of the process, I was under the impression that the visit was one of the last elements of the application process.

Safe to say I’m warming up the solicitor as I can see this one going to court.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Where in the application process is the FEO visit.

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

That does not sound like a good start. Just remain pleasant and rational and make a note of proceedings after each visit and you are going in the right direction. The relationship with ours is a bit different, he sometimes rolls up without warning, we have a friendly chat and a coffee and he heads off again. Today it was a flying and informal visit about something and we mostly talked about one of our Labradors. I feel very privileged to have such a FEO.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

alarm need is changing, as the latest guidance muddys the water and basically says monitored IS required. people will all pipe up and say they have cameras linked to their phones or dialers on their alarms set to their phones, but Police in my area do not see this as adequate as what if you have no signal, battery etc. it is not a monitored alarm. BASC agreed with this view.
it used to be alarm was down to risk presented, this was judged on crime in area, your security arangements and number of guns is always taken into account although it isn't and should never be sole decider. latest guidance seems to miss out all that and say holders should be cat2 I think, which was police monitored alarm.

as for the walk to the car etc, you would be at more risk in the clubs car park, but clubs don't have to have CCTV, panic buttons, gated entry etc. so no.
tbh, does just sound like they are warming up the excuses, but I doubt a brief will get you far
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
andy1979

#4 Post by andy1979 »

From what BASC have told me my licensing department West Midlands police hasn’t adopted the 2019 guidance yet.
I got the impression from the off that is was a forgone conclusion.
Even my wife said what a prick the guy was.
Picked on everything including my key storage think the only thing he didn’t pick on was the physical cabinet installation.
It’ll get fought I’ve legal expenses insurance so I’ll fight it as far as I can.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

andy1979 wrote: Picked on everything including my key storage
key storage?
if my FEO asks where my keys are kept, the answer is 'none of your business' not even the FLM should know where you keep your keys
andy1979

#6 Post by andy1979 »

Like I said foregone conclusion before he even set foot in my house.
My keys are secure BASC have confirmed my key storage arrangements are satisfactory.
Anything and everything he could find he pulled apart it was like been interviewed for a crime not the relaxed chat I was expecting.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

The HO firearms security handbook (2019) is being quoted by Lincolnshire police these days:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-handbook
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
andy1979

#8 Post by andy1979 »

But the new handbook says level 1 security will be sufficient in the majority of cases

2.16 & 2.17
andy1979

#9 Post by andy1979 »

2.58 lists the exact storage arrangements I have in place which the FEO tore apart.
Primary and secondary keys in separate locations in the house in key safes.

So I’ve followed the guidelines and got tore apart for it.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

andy1979 wrote: Primary and secondary keys in separate locations in the house in key safes.
STOP TELLING PEOPLE WHERE YOUR KEYS ARE FFS!!!

that alone would be grounds for an FEO to pull your ticket if you actually had one. Stop it! troutslapping