Gun Cabinet placement

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

Gun Cabinet placement

#1 Post by andy1979 »

Can you guys help settle this for me.

I’m new as most of you will have guessed by all the questions.

I’m going to be fitting my Cabinet as it was delivered today.

I’m struggling to find somewhere suitable to put it due to the layout of my house the only place it will be out of sight is upstairs.

The ideal place is in a walk in cupboard we have but it’s in our Daughters bedroom.

I could make the cupboard secure with a mortise lock.

The alternative is my Bedroom but the Wife ain’t keen on a metal box being bolted to the wall.

My Boss who’s an established shooter doesn’t think the FEO would allow it to be in the cupboard.

I went to sign up night at the club I have just joined and asked for advice the guys there don’t think it’ll be a problem as guns and Ammo will be locked away.

Help me settle it once and for all please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Gun Cabinet placement

#2 Post by dromia »

The only definitive answer will come from your firearms certification department.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

I can't see an issue with either location personally but as Dromia says, its the FEO that has the final say so you might as well just wait until your visit. Saves making a mess of a wall of they decide where you've put it isn't acceptable.
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Yeah I can't see it being a problem in a child's room. I'm sure said child has access to your room anyway! As long as they don't have access to the keys then they aren't getting in there...
But as others have said give your firearms department a call and ask for their input. They will be the ones approving it at the end of the day.
If you do end up with it in your room then get some wood veneer and glue it on. Make it look like a big wooden box! She might be a bit happier about that...
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#5 Post by glevum »

Have you read this? It should answer your questions

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-handbook
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

I used to have mine bolted inside a built in wardrobe in the sons room so no dramas there, but as discussed always worth talking to your FEO.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#7 Post by andy1979 »

Spoke with with The local firearms department today and they’ve confirmed it’s an acceptable place to install it.

Thanks for the advice guys I know I’m being a pain in backside with all the questions.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#8 Post by 20series »

andy1979 wrote:Spoke with with The local firearms department today and they’ve confirmed it’s an acceptable place to install it.

Thanks for the advice guys I know I’m being a pain in backside with all the questions.
Andy
The only stupid question is the one not asked... it is worth doing a search as some of the basics have been covered in great depth, but when in doubt shout..

Cheers
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
etonwick
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#9 Post by etonwick »

My shotgun cabinet has been in an upstairs bedroom in a cupboard for 20 years. Despite the differences between shotgun and firearms certificate processes, I cannot see why a firearms cabinet location would be any different.
Cheers

etonwick

"A buck in books saves a grand in stupid!" - Mark Novak, Gunsmith.