Heavy barrel importance?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Heavy barrel importance?

#11 Post by DaveB »

Bergara B14 HMR would be my choice (In fact it was - although mine's in 6.5 Creedmoor). Best of both worlds in my view.
GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#12 Post by GordonBennett »

Thanks people. Food for thought while I’m waiting for my FAC grant.
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by Webley »

rox wrote:
andrew375 wrote:No.4 (Lee Enfield) action, they were margial for 7.62 NATO anyway but now I believe these are now considered dangerous to use with current 155gr match ammunition by the NRA.
Is this really still doing the rounds?
Unfortunately it is, people tend to remember information about risks and dangers to themselves and others so it takes a while to purge false risks from any community.

For piece of mind for those that still believe the risk above, an example of the supposedly weak Lee Enfield action being abused to failure using a much more powerful cartridge.

Viewer discretion advised, this video contains the death of a Lee Enfield.

https://youtu.be/7bhWxFbYdyw

Matt
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

A good floated barrel and the type of shooting you are doing it won't matter too much if the barrel is heavy or not. If you are shooting civilian service rifle (CSR) with it be prepared to pick it up and run with it, then the heavy barrel will make itself known.
The damping of movement from a heavier barrel will be of benefit if you are shooting off-hand more than off a bipod or sticks, but it will help reduce the felt recoil a bit in any position.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.