What to apply for

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: What to apply for

#11 Post by Mattnall »

andy1979 wrote:
1 x .22lr AR15 type semi + Moderator
1 x .22lr Remington 597 type semi + Moderator
1 x .22lr Bolt action + Moderator
1 x .223 centre fire + Moderator
1 x .308 centre fire + Moderator
Good choice to begin with and unlike most of these sorts of posts you seem to know what you want and aren't asking "What should I ask for?" (if you didn't know I'd have thought you weren't ready to apply).

My only advice is rather than your list as above replace with something similar to what's below. You can always give the details of the different actions and reasons for them when visit time happens.

3 x .22lr RIFLE
3 x .22lr Moderator
1 x .223 RIFLE + Moderator
1 x .308 RIFLE + Moderator
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#12 Post by andy1979 »

Thanks for the advice on simply putting rifle instead of listing the action.

I'm on the right track then at least and not looking at something the police simply wont grant.

Only one variation i'm likely to put in at some point and that's for a 300 black out but i'm still doing my homework on that as the jury seems to be out on if its a useful target round or not but that's one for the future at the moment.

I'm keeping my 6th slot in my cabinet for a shotgun.
I know i'll more than likely have to buy another cabinet once all the rifles are purchased as most will be scoped or have red dots fitted.
But for visit purposes on paper i have the room to house the rifles.
Rockhopper

#13 Post by Rockhopper »

When the FEO comes round to interview you he’ll ask you why you want multiple rifles of the same calibre so have your answer ready. He’ll also probably try and knock you back on your ammunition holding. Derbyshire for example won’t allow 1000 .22 on initial grant (for their own spurious reasons....). Also if he asks why you want 1000 don’t say because it’s cheaper. That’s not a good reason. Tell him you shoot mini rifle comps etc and you could blast through 500 in a session etc etc.
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#14 Post by andy1979 »

The 3 .22 rifles are an AR style for practical shooting, bolt action for precision target shooting and a semi with iron sights to improve my skills.

Think I could easily do 500 in a session once the semi's come out the play I put 150 through a bolt on Thursday night in just over an hour and half. lol
AltogetherElsewhere
Home club or Range: Severnside Range

#15 Post by AltogetherElsewhere »

Looks like a good variety. I put in for 2 rimfires, a pistol cal rifle, and a 7.62 rifle. Plod just said "that seems like a good range for a first time FAC," and moved on to the cabinet inspection.
andy1979 wrote:1 x .22lr Remington 597 type semi + Moderator
I bought a used 597 as my very first rifle! It's a great gun - you won't go wrong there. Very solid little tack-driver. However, just be mindful that the twin guide-rods inside are prone to getting mucky (and even deforming if you mistreat it), and that the older magazines (Gen 1) are all-polymer and suck all kinds of unmentionables!
When you get yours, I strongly advise you to strip it down and give it a good clean, and to buy a couple of Gen 2 or (preferably) Gen 3 magazines. You won't go far wrong with that set-up!

Good luck! :)
"May you live in interesting times,"
~ Traditional Chinese Curse
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#16 Post by Pippin89 »

andy1979 wrote:What about ammo numbers i'm thinking

1000 rounds of .22 LR
500 rounds of .223/5.56
500 rounds of 7.62/.308

Don't know if they are considered reasonable levels for a grant?
Change it to 1200, 600 and 600. If you have 1000 then you can't buy a new brick of 1000 rounds until you have run out. 1200 gives you a bit of breathing space to buy a new brick when you have a few left.
Mattnall

#17 Post by Mattnall »

andy1979 wrote:The 3 .22 rifles are an AR style for practical shooting, bolt action for precision target shooting and a semi with iron sights to improve my skills.
No.
These are your reasons not the OP's reasons.

If the FLO asks "what do you do in practical shooting?" and the OP has no idea he'll look a fool and most likely will not get everything he wants.

There are many reasons to have any firearm, but the reason(s) have to be yours alone, if that is the same as someone else's then great but it shouldn't be someone else's and not yours.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#18 Post by Dellboy »

most of our members go for

2 x 22 plus moderators
22 lbp
38/357
38/357 lbr
44 muzzle loader
223/556 plus moderator
308/762 plus moderator

ammo wise
1000 to purchase 1100 to hold 22
500 38 500 357
223 300 556 300
308 300 762 300

Just need to know why you need it .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Rockhopper

#19 Post by Rockhopper »

Mattnall wrote:
andy1979 wrote:The 3 .22 rifles are an AR style for practical shooting, bolt action for precision target shooting and a semi with iron sights to improve my skills.
No.
These are your reasons not the OP's reasons.

If the FLO asks "what do you do in practical shooting?" and the OP has no idea he'll look a fool and most likely will not get everything he wants.

There are many reasons to have any firearm, but the reason(s) have to be yours alone, if that is the same as someone else's then great but it shouldn't be someone else's and not yours.
Andy1979 is the op!
Mattnall

#20 Post by Mattnall »

Rockhopper wrote:
Andy1979 is the op!
oops :oops:
My bad, getting ahead of myself and tripping up.