Heavy barrel importance?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

Heavy barrel importance?

#1 Post by GordonBennett »

I’m waiting for my first FAC grant and spending the time researching firearms. I intend to purchase a .308 for target shooting and competitions. My question is, how important is a heavy barrel? Can a hunting barrel overheat? I doubt I’ll be shooting more than 40/50 rounds over a couple of hours. Or is a heavy barrel more accurate? Advice appreciated!
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Heavy barrel importance?

#2 Post by 20series »

Basically yes a heavier thicker barrel particularly one that is fluted will cope with heating far better than a stalking barrel desgned to maybe only shoot a couple of rounds in an hour.

It's amazing how quick they heat up, particularly in warmer weather.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

It depends on what you mean by target shooting and competition. If you are thinking of going to the range with half a dozen mates with similar rifles for a bit of light hearted competition out to 600 yards then there are plenty of sporting .308's that will serve you well. If you are thinking of something a bit more formal with other chaps using "Target rifles" out to 1,000 yards I think you will be disappointed.

Let us know a bit more about what type of shooting you hope to be doing - scope or open sights? Bipod, rest or sling? Range 100-600, 100-1,000 yds? Handloads or factory/military surplus?

Are you committed to .308 for some reason? Are you thinking about modern military looking rifles or classic hunting style?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#4 Post by GordonBennett »

1066 wrote:It depends on what you mean by target shooting and competition. If you are thinking of going to the range with half a dozen mates with similar rifles for a bit of light hearted competition out to 600 yards then there are plenty of sporting .308's that will serve you well. If you are thinking of something a bit more formal with other chaps using "Target rifles" out to 1,000 yards I think you will be disappointed.

Let us know a bit more about what type of shooting you hope to be doing - scope or open sights? Bipod, rest or sling? Range 100-600, 100-1,000 yds? Handloads or factory/military surplus?

Are you committed to .308 for some reason? Are you thinking about modern military looking rifles or classic hunting style?

Mainly informal practice and club competitions up to 600 yards with scope, including “Sporting rifle” and “Service rifle (open class)”. So bipod mainly and sticks occasionally. A removable 5 shot magazine would be useful. I’m going to continue with factory ammo to start and .308 is relatively cheap and easy to get hold of I believe.
One of the attractions of .308 is that when the opportunity arises to shoot longer distances, it’ll be up to the job. Plus there are plenty second hand!
I’m not thinking of a particular style although in an ideal (money no object) world an adjustable stock would be good for my 6’5” frame!
andrew375

#5 Post by andrew375 »

The heavier barrel will help damp out movement for accurate shooting. Heating isn't an issue as you will be outdoors and not shooting that fast anyway. When it comes to weight consideration I usually break it down to 2 applications, is it for carrying with the odd shot or for shooting with little carrying? A target rifle will be the latter so weight isn't the issue, the ability to hold the target is. There is a reason why small bore match rifles have such heavy barrels.

You will also need a single point sling, glove and reasonable jacket in order to help support the rifle properly. Glove and sling from Intershoot or NSRA shop and jackets can be got second hand off Ebay or the sales section of forums such as this. Also consider buying a small bore match rifle to practice with, you can pick up a good Anschutz for not much money.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by 1066 »

andrew375 wrote:The heavier barrel will help damp out movement for accurate shooting. Heating isn't an issue as you will be outdoors and not shooting that fast anyway. When it comes to weight consideration I usually break it down to 2 applications, is it for carrying with the odd shot or for shooting with little carrying? A target rifle will be the latter so weight isn't the issue, the ability to hold the target is. There is a reason why small bore match rifles have such heavy barrels.

You will also need a single point sling, glove and reasonable jacket in order to help support the rifle properly. Glove and sling from Intershoot or NSRA shop and jackets can be got second hand off Ebay or the sales section of forums such as this. Also consider buying a small bore match rifle to practice with, you can pick up a good Anschutz for not much money.
I don't think the OP is thinking along the line of sling jacket and glove type shooting.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
andrew375

#7 Post by andrew375 »

The original post is asking about a rifle to use for target shooting and competitions, therefore all I said I consider pertinent to the post.

On the subject of buying a target rifle, be aware there is a lot of rubbish out there. Do not go by external appearance, target rifles don't spend much time outdoors and don't get thrown about. However, they do get a lot of rounds down them,so unless you see evidence of round count or can put a bore scope down it factor in the cost of a new barrel, £800+. Also avoid anything based on a No.4 (Lee Enfield) action, they were margial for 7.62 NATO anyway but now I believe these are now considered dangerous to use with current 155gr match ammunition by the NRA. If you ask around amongst target shooters you can probably get a Swing for less than £500 failing that you can't go wrong with a Parker Hale TX1200, these are 1960's made Mauser 98 actions with target triggers, you can get a decent one for less than £200 and Norman Clarke of Rugby did have a stock of original barrels that he was fitting for about £400.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

+1 for a TX1200........we ran one years ago. Paid £350 for it, a cracking rifle, well up for 1000yds.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#9 Post by North Star »

Ask around at your club. There are normally a few good rifles up for grabs with decent histories!
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
rox

#10 Post by rox »

andrew375 wrote:No.4 (Lee Enfield) action, they were margial for 7.62 NATO anyway but now I believe these are now considered dangerous to use with current 155gr match ammunition by the NRA.
Is this really still doing the rounds?
andrew375 wrote:The original post is asking about a rifle to use for target shooting and competitions, therefore all I said I consider pertinent to the post.
He specifically said bipod or sticks:
'with scope, including “Sporting rifle” and “Service rifle (open class)”. So bipod mainly and sticks occasionally. A removable 5 shot magazine would be useful'.
Swings and 1200TX definitely don't meet the (optional) magazine criteria.