What to expect from "the visit"

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: What to expect from "the visit"

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

Good luck! I'm sure all will go smoothly!
escargot
Home club or Range: Bolton Gun Club (clay section)

#12 Post by escargot »

It all went great - for any other newbies like me who might be nervous or unsure of what to expect, don't be. I appreciate that not all FEOs are created equal but mine was a lovely chap. Really easy to talk to, explained some best practice stuff re gun safety - storage, transportation etc and was happy to answer a few questions I had.

It was actually a very pleasant half hour and he was very happy with gun safe location and fitment.

It helped massively that I have had plenty of lessons and had joined BASC as it showed a commitment to doing things properly rather than just on a whim. I'd recommend building a bit of shooting history as undoubtedly he'd have asked more searching questions had I not been able to demonstrate at least a basic level of knowledge.

Anyway,cert should be through in a few weeks then I can go and collect my gun. Can't wait!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

escargot wrote: It helped massively that I have had plenty of lessons and had joined BASC as it showed a commitment to doing things properly rather than just on a whim. I'd recommend building a bit of shooting history as undoubtedly he'd have asked more searching questions had I not been able to demonstrate at least a basic level of knowledge.
This is very good advice for SGC applicants. For FAC its pretty much mandatory as you will have joined a club or had shooting experience in the field with a mentor. For SGC it is less so, but anything you can do to prove you are sensible and genuine will never go against you. I had just completed a shotgun safety course at my local clay ground which pleased my FEO on the shotgun side.
billy_boy_2010

#14 Post by billy_boy_2010 »

Sounds like tou had a good one. But I agree- you really should have some experience first- and even then it's not unusual to have your liscence restricted to land inspected by the police and they are often requiring a mentor before having use of a centrefire.
escargot
Home club or Range: Bolton Gun Club (clay section)

#15 Post by escargot »

Cert arrived today - hip hip hooray! So my new (to me) silver pigeon is also here! Can't stop looking at it.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

From October 21st to now, 4 weeks is not bad at all. I am just going through a renewal for my SGC which was something like 7 weeks for my GP to sort things out, wait a week for a call from my FEO and after a brief chat he said expect the new one to arrive 3 weeks before my old one expires so mid/end December. Firearms renewal is 2 years away and I will apply for a coterminous.

Enjoy the SP, they are lovely guns.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Ovenpaa wrote:Firearms renewal is 2 years away and I will apply for a coterminous.
So, just sitting here thinking (dangerous) and wondering; if your medical cert from the doctor is still valid for your SGC for the next 5 years (barring any changes to your circumstances) would you need another one for your FAC renewal in 2 years' time?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#18 Post by J4mes »

Mattnall wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Firearms renewal is 2 years away and I will apply for a coterminous.
So, just sitting here thinking (dangerous) and wondering; if your medical cert from the doctor is still valid for your SGC for the next 5 years (barring any changes to your circumstances) would you need another one for your FAC renewal in 2 years' time?

Lincolnshire made me get another one despite having 3 years left on my SGC when I applied for my coterminous FAC.
Despite much arguing on the phone with them.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes, Lincolnshire tell me a new GP report if it is more than 12 months please. Another reason to go for a coterminous and I do wonder how long it will be before we need a report for every 1:1 or addition.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#20 Post by J4mes »

Yes, it had crossed my mind too.