FAC process

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

lazareth1
Home club or Range: Dunfermline Small Bore Rifle Club

FAC process

#1 Post by lazareth1 »

Hi,

I have my safe now ready to install but I was wondering can I apply for my FAC now and go through the interview and checks before the safe is installed?

I'm 99% confident that I'll pass the checks but I don't want to install the safe and then be refused the FAC!

TIA

LAZ
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: FAC process

#2 Post by Mattnall »

You can do but make sure it is sited somewhere suitable; not on show, not in the reception rooms of the house, preferably fixed to a structural wall (though not always necessary).

Use common sense and as long as it's fixed firmly and out of sight of casual visitors you should be OK.
There is guidance online somewhere.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

Yes, Laz, you can do that. Ask the FEO, when he comes for the home visit, where he thinks the safe should be positioned, and then you can both discuss it if it differs from your own ideas.
lazareth1

#4 Post by lazareth1 »

Les wrote:Yes, Laz, you can do that. Ask the FEO, when he comes for the home visit, where he thinks the safe should be positioned, and then you can both discuss it if it differs from your own ideas.
Ah OK I didn't know that! Then I assume they'll come back one last time once the safe is installed and try the usual pull / pry tests?
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

lazareth1 wrote:
Les wrote:Yes, Laz, you can do that. Ask the FEO, when he comes for the home visit, where he thinks the safe should be positioned, and then you can both discuss it if it differs from your own ideas.
Ah OK I didn't know that! Then I assume they'll come back one last time once the safe is installed and try the usual pull / pry tests?
They might ... all depends on what they "think of you". In my case the FEO said "let me know when it is there and I will come round when nearby" - he never did. When I moved it a few years later, I told him and he called in when in the area, weeks or months later.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
lazareth1

#6 Post by lazareth1 »

Polchraine wrote:
lazareth1 wrote:
They might ... all depends on what they "think of you". In my case the FEO said "let me know when it is there and I will come round when nearby" - he never did. When I moved it a few years later, I told him and he called in when in the area, weeks or months later.
Excellent thanks, I'll get my application in then!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

When the FEO calls to book your visit check with them. Mine wanted it installed when she visited so that she could do it all in one trip. It all depends how often they are in the area.