Well that was pretty traumatic!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Well that was pretty traumatic!

#41 Post by snayperskaya »

Blackstuff wrote:If you THINK you clean your barrel to within an inch of its life/super thoroughly and want to spend more time cleaning it, I highly recommend buying an endoscope/borescope. I spent the best part of 2hrs yesterday with JB polishing compound and my 308 is still nowhere near what i'd like it to look like using the borescope. Before I even tried with the JB patches were running perfectly clear with Napier Gun Cleaner and C2r :squirrel:

Worst idea ever to buy one! 8-) lol
What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#42 Post by dromia »

I had a bore scope many years ago and there were not cheap in those days, I used it on one rifle and promptly sold it.

The target gives me all the information I need on the condition of my bore/rifle.

If it isn't broke don't try fixing it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#43 Post by Ovenpaa »

My old Sako 75 Varmint in 22-250 with a 10X Kaps BDC on it has well over 2000 rounds through it. The original 1:14 barrel will only stabilise 50 grain V Max these days and it is fire cracked for at least a third of the barrel with bugger all throat left. As long as I do not clean it and just give the bore a wipe out with a methylated spirits soaked patch followed by a lightly oiled patch (If it has been caught in the rain) I can expect 3 shots inside a thumbnail at 125 yards. Clean it and it is fecked for 30 rounds.

Between me and the previous owner that rifle has probably killed every known species in the Wolds and it still keeps going.

Not everything likes being cleaned.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#44 Post by Sim G »

Several of my best shooters would be declared U/S if a bore scope was was run through them! A local dealer once said he always uses a scope when buying, but never when selling....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#45 Post by Mattnall »

Borescope, maybe the worst thing to put down your barrel.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.