Well that was pretty traumatic!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Well that was pretty traumatic!

#21 Post by dromia »

Snaperskya I would take such instances as bolt lug galling on an individual basis as the context is everything in such cases, for example over pressure loads or poor headspace can cause "galling". They may have nothing to do with lube or lack thereof.

Also, manufacturers instructions can be influenced by lawyers rather than engineering realities and how many of us actually take any notice of manufacturers advice?

Most if not all manufacturers will say that any warranty on their firearms will be void if anything other than factory ammunition is used yet many many shooters feed their guns handloaded ammunition with aplomb!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

I remember one UK manufacturer who voided any warranty if reloaded ammunition was used whilst suggesting better accuracy would be seen with some load development...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#23 Post by dromia »

Was that the one that had a reputation for dodgy straight pulls?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Ovenpaa

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

....and here was me being discreet :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin

#25 Post by dromia »

Also known as Rotund Robert?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

My lips are sealed lol lol lol lol lol
/d

Shed Journal
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#27 Post by mag41uk »

Ovenpaa wrote:My lips are sealed lol lol lol lol lol
Unlike rotund bob`s
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#28 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:Interestingly I have seen more galling on newer rifles than older ones. By that I mean rifles produced post war vs pre war. I am probably yet to see scuffed lugs on a pre-45 actioned rifle.
Just out of curiosity what was the cause of the galling you've seen, in your opinion?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good question, it is could be down to many things. Dirt across the lugs, head space, repeated over pressure, poor heat treatment etc. Or all of the above. There are so many reasons really. One thing I will say, they are always of a 2 lug design and no, that does not mean Remington. The only Rems I have seen with scuffed lugs had been re-barreled. The 2 lug construction of a Remington 700 type (if 42 HRC) would give a shear resistance of around 56,5 tons, whereas a reasonable 3 lug is going to be up around the 85 tons mark.

No, this is not a good reason to buy a 3 lug either as the 2 lug should have reduced bolt lift albeit with a greater cam angle. Horses for courses :)
/d

Shed Journal
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#30 Post by Pippin89 »

Ah, the good old clean it or not debate! It could go on forever. Some people (tends to be older shooters...) say to only clean it when the accuracy drops off. However, the more modern approach is to keep it clean. All of the manufacturers of high end target rimfires (Anschutz, Walther, G&E, Bleiker etc.) recommend cleaning after every shoot. Personally I clean mine religiously to the recommendation.