What to look out for when buying a rifle!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

rid the gent
Home club or Range: Mayfair shooting centre and Tyne valley rifle club

What to look out for when buying a rifle!

#1 Post by rid the gent »

So I’m still in my probationary period in the shooting clubs I’m in, but when the day finally comes that I receive my FAC and I can go and spend my hard earned on a rifle/rifles.

What should I be looking for wear and tear wise?
Barrel,action,stock??

Go easy I’m new!!

Regards Paul
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: What to look out for when buying a rifle!

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Buy from a reputable source and take someone who knows about such things is the easy answer. After that, there are so many variables, age, type, cartridge and so on. If it looks OK then it is a good start, if you can test fire it even better.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

As the 'man above' says best to go to a reputable source, many of your fellow club members may be able to help there, I'm sure.
If varies with different rifles, but don't believe claims of round count (or barrel use) - take a look down the barrel.
If possible try before you buy, easier if it's from a club member but may be possible otherwise.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

A good starting point is general condition. Does it looks like the owner looked after it or used and abused it? Much like a car, if you turn up and the car is filthy and covered in dents it gives the impression that they haven't looked after the car.
Another good sign (especially for a target rifle) is to ask how many rounds have been through it. If they don't know then it has probably been through multiple owners who just plinked away without a care in the world. If the owner cared about the condition and accuracy of the rifle they should be able to tell you how many rounds its fired. Its an indication that they are tracking the condition of the rifle themself.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

Try not to take the wife with you when gun shopping (like I once did ). You might end up buying something cheaper rather the gun you really want and it's hard to lie about how much the gun actually cost.

Before the faux outrage I bet you don't know the real price of her shoes, handbags etc. lol
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#6 Post by CraigH »

Ideal curiosity....I wonder what happens with probationary periods at a club, generally they seem to be a fixed 6 months, the amount of times you actually turn up to shoot doesn't seem to be taken into account (or at least it didn't appear to be for my probation period) - I wonder if the six months will still stand or if it will be lengthened due to 'Lockdown'
rid the gent

#7 Post by rid the gent »

CraigH wrote:Ideal curiosity....I wonder what happens with probationary periods at a club, generally they seem to be a fixed 6 months, the amount of times you actually turn up to shoot doesn't seem to be taken into account (or at least it didn't appear to be for my probation period) - I wonder if the six months will still stand or if it will be lengthened due to 'Lockdown'
I’ve not heard anything from the club so hoping it’s just 6 month!!
Let’s try not to bring attention to it!
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#8 Post by CraigH »

rid the gent wrote:
CraigH wrote:Ideal curiosity....I wonder what happens with probationary periods at a club, generally they seem to be a fixed 6 months, the amount of times you actually turn up to shoot doesn't seem to be taken into account (or at least it didn't appear to be for my probation period) - I wonder if the six months will still stand or if it will be lengthened due to 'Lockdown'
:squirrel:
rid the gent

#9 Post by rid the gent »

Suppose it’s like buying anything else, if it looks like it’s been looked after then it probably has.
I live up Newcastle way but work in derby and there seems to be a few RFDs around the area I could go and have a good look at (when open) , which will keep me out of the beer isle In local shop!!
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#10 Post by poll007 »

CraigH wrote:
rid the gent wrote:
:squirrel:
It is really dependent on the individual club, one of my local clubs used to be 12 visits within a reasonable time frame (usually 6 months-but some flexibility was added given the amount of students we were bringing). Now its 12 shoots in 3 months which is a bit more difficult with student timetables.

other clubs do it purely on time (usually 6 months like yours seems to be) but at the end of the day its down to the chairman/committee to decide.

All you can do is ask really to be sure.

That being said once you have an FAC most clubs seem to do a reduced probabtionary period or none at all on the basis you already have the FAC.