First FAC application - what can I ask for?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

twotonealex
Home club or Range: Bisley

First FAC application - what can I ask for?

#1 Post by twotonealex »

Evening all,

I'm a relatively novice shooter in the grand scheme but have been shooting on and off for the past 2 years. I was due to be at the 6 month probation point of a club I am part of at Bisley but due to COVID, my final attendance before my anticipated successful full membership has been delayed due to COVID but hopefully will be possible soon.

Whilst waiting, I'm planning my FAC application with Avon & Somerset for as soon as I'm a full member, but I'm unsure what I can ask for.

I've done a fair bit of .22 shooting, as well as .357/.38 lever action in gallery. My main enjoyment comes from the longer range stuff (not gallery!), I've used .556, .303 & .762 bolt actions, the latter have been normal Enfields and converted target rifles.

I would like to continue doing this mix of disciplines and also have a go at some practical stuff too.

I'm relatively well read on Enfields and have developed quite a thing for them!

I've got a new 6 gun cabinet ready to go, so I'd like to plan the purchase of up to 6 rifles (obviously not in one go!).

My ideal list is:

- .22 AR style, either a 15-22, Tippman or Lantac
- .22 TBC
- .357/38 Lever
- .303 Enfield (exact model tbc
- .303 No.5 MK1
- .762 Enfield Enforcer

Is this amount and 'flavour' of slots realistic for a first FAC application?
I work with the military as a civilian (MOD), would this help my application?
Im planning on joining LERA also so this may help the cause.

Any other tips or advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using "An application"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: First FAC application - what can I ask for?

#2 Post by dromia »

So long as you can demonstrate good reason for possession then you will be fine.

What are you going to be using the firearms for? If target shooting then what types of target shooting will you be using each gunfor?

I doubt your job will have any effect on your application.

Joining appropriate clubs to that which you wish to shoot will no doubt help with the sincerity of your application.

Best just to list the calibres and types rather than specific firearms it gives you far more flexibility.

2 x .22 RF rifles, 1 x .36 M/L pistol etc.etc.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
twotonealex

#3 Post by twotonealex »

Thanks for the info.

My shopping list was purely for this post, naturally I will put just the calibres I want :)

.22 AR style - for minigun/practical
- .22 TBC - for Gallery
- .357/38 Lever - for Gallery
- .303 Enfield (exact model tbc) - for Target Shooting w/ iron sights
- .303 No.5 MK1 - for Target Shooting
- .762 Enfield Enforcer - For Target shooting w/ scope

Above are some examples of the uses, however I may swap out something for a .223/.556

Thanks

Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

Yes, 2 or 3 .22lr rifles, ml pistol if that's your thing, gallery rifle and a 2 or 3 full bore rifles is not too much.
Remember golfers don't just buy one golf stick!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

As has been mentioned, its what you need to carry out whatever form of shooting you are doing.

I don't know enough about historic military rifle shooting to give a properly informed 2p worth but looking at the list the 3 'similar' 30cal rifles would ping my radar straight away. In the second post you have differentiated the two of the rifles as one with iron sights and one with a scope which is usually good enough reason to need both. The third one is the most non-descript though and I'd expect questions raised about that, especially on an initial grant.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, i'm just highlighting something that could potentially be a sticking point.
DVC
twotonealex

#6 Post by twotonealex »

Blackstuff wrote:As has been mentioned, its what you need to carry out whatever form of shooting you are doing.

I don't know enough about historic military rifle shooting to give a properly informed 2p worth but looking at the list the 3 'similar' 30cal rifles would ping my radar straight away. In the second post you have differentiated the two of the rifles as one with iron sights and one with a scope which is usually good enough reason to need both. The third one is the most non-descript though and I'd expect questions raised about that, especially on an initial grant.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, i'm just highlighting something that could potentially be a sticking point.
Thanks Blackstuff,

Fully taken on board. I added extra detail to add some clarity on my ask. I'll put together more justified reasoning when putting in the application :)

Thanks!

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

twotonealex wrote: - .762 Enfield Enforcer - For Target shooting w/ scope
I suspect you may mean 7.62mm rather than 0.762".It is important that you get this kind of thing accurate on your application as they will want you to show a degree of knowledge on the subject. They don't expect you to be an expert by any means but some knowledge to show you have a genuine interest. For this calibre put it down as "7.62/.308". They are more or less the same and it opens up the market on what you can buy a little bit.

One this to bear in mind, a 6 gun cabinet will not necessarily hold 6 guns. Especially when you start putting scoped rifles in it. My 6 gun cabinet has 2 open sight rifles and 3 shotguns and I would have to squeeze to fit the 6th in the final slot (planned for an LSR rifle).

As long as the club(s) you are part of shoot the calibres and disciplines you are requesting then you are not unreasonable in your requested list. However, it will very much come down to the FEO. Some won't want you to have so many on a first application and will ask you to drop a couple. Some will be fine with it. Some won't want to grant you firearms that you don't intend on purchasing within 3 months, some 12 months, some the term of the licence.... If you get the former then expect questions on how you are going to fund buying so many in such a short time.

You will also need to think about ammo allowances and how many rounds of each calibre you will need and don't forget slots for moderators if you intend to use them.
twotonealex

#8 Post by twotonealex »

Pippin89 wrote:
twotonealex wrote: - .762 Enfield Enforcer - For Target shooting w/ scope
I suspect you may mean 7.62mm rather than 0.762".It is important that you get this kind of thing accurate on your application as they will want you to show a degree of knowledge on the subject. They don't expect you to be an expert by any means but some knowledge to show you have a genuine interest. For this calibre put it down as "7.62/.308". They are more or less the same and it opens up the market on what you can buy a little bit.

One this to bear in mind, a 6 gun cabinet will not necessarily hold 6 guns. Especially when you start putting scoped rifles in it. My 6 gun cabinet has 2 open sight rifles and 3 shotguns and I would have to squeeze to fit the 6th in the final slot (planned for an LSR rifle).

As long as the club(s) you are part of shoot the calibres and disciplines you are requesting then you are not unreasonable in your requested list. However, it will very much come down to the FEO. Some won't want you to have so many on a first application and will ask you to drop a couple. Some will be fine with it. Some won't want to grant you firearms that you don't intend on purchasing within 3 months, some 12 months, some the term of the licence.... If you get the former then expect questions on how you are going to fund buying so many in such a short time.

You will also need to think about ammo allowances and how many rounds of each calibre you will need and don't forget slots for moderators if you intend to use them.
Point taken!

All very reasonable recommendations - good call on the 7.62/308.

Thanks

Andy632 wrote:Yes, 2 or 3 .22lr rifles, ml pistol if that's your thing, gallery rifle and a 2 or 3 full bore rifles is not too much.
Remember golfers don't just buy one golf stick!
Very true! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

twotonealex wrote: I've got a new 6 gun cabinet ready to go, so I'd like to plan the purchase of up to 6 rifles (obviously not in one go!).

My ideal list is:

- .22 AR style, either a 15-22, Tippman or Lantac
- .22 TBC
- .357/38 Lever
- .303 Enfield (exact model tbc
- .303 No.5 MK1
- .762 Enfield Enforcer
As has been mentioned already, you won't get all those in a 6 gun cabinet, so if you have already bought the cabinet, then you will need to chop at least one from that list, possibly 2 if you want a scoped rifle.

There's no problem with having a thing for Lee-Enfields, but I would be chopping one of them from the list.

Enforcer's are pretty rare and expensive, so maybe worth looking at a L39 or Envoy for the 7.62/308 slot and just add a no-gunsmithing mount for fitting a modern scope, if you want the 7.62 for the longer ranges.

Or, drop the 7.62 and keep the two 303 slots, one for the No.5 to shoot iron sights, and add a similar no-gunsmith mount to a No.4 for shooting longer ranges, or look at a good No.4T replica....which would still be cheaper than an Enforcer and easier to come by.

Do you really need two .22RF for what shooting your club does?

I doubt that you will get more than max 5 slots granted on first application, but this all depends on each force.

My first application was for:
1 x .22RF (for semi-auto)
1 x .45LC (for underlever)
2 x .303 slots. (one for a No.5 and one for a scoped No.4)
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#10 Post by Andy632 »

I'm a club secretary, many of our new members go for 2 or 3 x .22lr rifles, one Gallery type rifle (38/357/44/45), one ML pistol, sometimes one or two LBRs and often two full bore rifles, with maybe a couple of sound moderators thrown in for future swaps/1-4-1's. Often granted with no issues.

Sometimes it helps putting in for more than you actually want and letting your FEO knock something back, it makes them feel better!

Don't tie yourself down with too much detail. Calibre only, Ie 2 x .22lr, 2 x .303, 1 x 7.62/.308. (don't forget 7.62/308 & .38spl/.357mag, for the ammo slot too.)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.